Mount Rogers National Recreation area?

Red Owl

Reaction score
I'll be driving past this area in a few months time and thought I'd take 3/4th's of a day to check it out. Try several different areas to see if any are of appeal for future, longer trips. I thought I'd exit off the interstate and try South Holston, then Big Wilson, then White Top Laurel and maybe the New- if the New is any good in that area. So about 2 hours on each stream. Once again- just to see and sample the area, if I like it then maybe a future camping/fishing trip.
Any suggestions helpful. :cool:

vaheelsfan

Reaction score
Not super familiar with that area other than doing some research hoping to visit some day, but I think that’ll probably be too many streams to fish in a day. While most of them aren’t far apart as the crow flies, traveling by road will take considerably longer.

flytie09

Reaction score
Good choice. It would be extremely difficult to squeeze all of those in in 3/4 day. One tip..... bring your bicycle. Drive your vehicle up the mountain up parallel to the creeper trail and then fish it down river with your bike. This is the fly only section. Be there early.

ft09