New River in South western VA/WV border

hambone111

Reaction score
Hey all .

We have our family vacation booked up for mid September. we will be down by Peterstown /Pearisburg WV and Virginia border area.

We will be very close to the New River, which i chose for it smallie action as im a big fan of the Bronzebacks, and i see a couple of tribs off it like the Wolf Creek and East river are very close to where we will be camping.

Anyone familiar with this area? the New doesn't look impossible to wade up in this area. ive read it gets much larger down by Parrot, Virginia and as you get close to the lake. the tributaries coming off look decent in size. im thinking 4wt and 6wt ?

recommendations?

mr mike

Reaction score
I like a 6 for smallies, even in smaller water because I tend to use relatively big flies for them. One thing to be aware of is that you might hit pretty skinny water that time of the year in that area. That's still summer around there most years.

flytie09

Reaction score
Wolf creek does not have many if any smallmouths above the dam in Narrows. So I wouldn't add it to your bucket list. I can't speak to the East River.

I do know that the New River is a daunting river to wade. Down right scary if you don't know where you're going. I won't wade it for this very reason as my coworkers have stories to tell.
While yes it can be very low at times in the summer...it holds fish. Tons of them.

Your best bet is to stop at a fly shop...the one that comes to mind is Tangent Outfitter -

Fishing Trips | Tangent Outfitters

in Pembroke, VA. They can give you the intel you seek and you might even want to do a float trip with them. I did this once with a group from work.....and we had a blast.

Good luck

ft09

hambone111

Reaction score
Wolf creek does not have many if any smallmouths above the dam in Narrows. So I wouldn't add it to your bucket list. I can't speak to the East River.

I do know that the New River is a daunting river to wade. Down right scary if you don't know where you're going. I won't wade it for this very reason as my coworkers have stories to tell.
While yes it can be very low at times in the summer...it holds fish. Tons of them.

Your best bet is to stop at a fly shop...the one that comes to mind is Tangent Outfitter -

Fishing Trips | Tangent Outfitters

in Pembroke, VA. They can give you the intel you seek and you might even want to do a float trip with them. I did this once with a group from work.....and we had a blast.

Good luck

ft09
Cool thanks!

i have always waded my entire life and do so in the potomac all the time up here in Maryland, i always err on the side of caution, thanks for the heads up tho ! its not a small river by any means and i will be alone.

Does Wolf creek have anything in it downstream from Narrows at the Mouth where it meets the New? i dont mind trout fishing but prefer smallies. IF any of the tributaries in this area have good trout in them ill be happy to pull out the 4wt and go.

I will give a couple of the fly shops in the area a call and see what they say for recommended water levels for fishing. i use the USGS tables a lot.

hambone111

Reaction score
I like a 6 for smallies, even in smaller water because I tend to use relatively big flies for them. One thing to be aware of is that you might hit pretty skinny water that time of the year in that area. That's still summer around there most years.
Yah i have 2 6wts for smallies, i was going to bring the 4wt for the smaller tributaries. there are a couple that come off that might hold trout, i dont mind trout but prefer smallies. the New is so highly regarded its a win win. Wifey gets her vacation and i get to thow big old top water stuff to summer smallies

flytie09

Reaction score
I've waded my entire life also.....and I've done some stupid things. Hence my safety advice. Maybe I've just talked myself out of it for no reason....but I don't wade the New.

The New River is on the top 5 most dangerous waterways in the US list. Mostly so in WV...but VA is as well. While during the summer the rapids and swift water is much decreased......almost non-existant. There are however huge drop offs that come out of nowhere. Like 2 ft to 25 ft in 1 step. Footing can be difficult due to the rock structure and you can get wedged in undercut rocks if you get pulled under water. I'd suggest wet wading........ if waders fill up thats it.

Several people drown every year. Now it is a hugely popular fishery and recreational area....just understand the risks.

Wolf Creek has some bass below the dam and a decent amount of trout above it. But access above the dam is limited as there is a lot of private property along it. It's there.....just a fair warning you might have to seek it out. Near bridges is your best shot. The area below the dam to the New is hard to access and not the best. It's less than a 1/4 mile long stretch. Stick to the New for smallies.

Just keep in mind.....during higher flows the New River has class II and III rapids in the stretch from Narrows to WV. The New River gorge area much farther downstream in WV has class V rapids and the Gauley river in Oct/Nov has the most class V rapids East of the Mississippi River. A thrill seekers haven. I did it once.....that's it for me.

You can see in Sep.... that the New is at it's lowest and safest flows.

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/usa...365&begin_date=2018-04-07&end_date=2018-04-14

Good luck to you.....

ft09

hambone111

Reaction score
I've waded my entire life also.....and I've done some stupid things. Hence my safety advice. Maybe I've just talked myself out of it for no reason....but I don't wade the New.

The New River is on the top 5 most dangerous waterways in the US list. Mostly so in WV...but VA is as well. While during the summer the rapids and swift water is much decreased......almost non-existant. There are however huge drop offs that come out of nowhere. Like 2 ft to 25 ft in 1 step. Footing can be difficult due to the rock structure and you can get wedged in undercut rocks if you get pulled under water. I'd suggest wet wading........ if waders fill up thats it.

Several people drown every year. Now it is a hugely popular fishery and recreational area....just understand the risks.

Wolf Creek has some bass below the dam and a decent amount of trout above it. But access above the dam is limited as there is a lot of private property along it. It's there.....just a fair warning you might have to seek it out. Near bridges is your best shot. The area below the dam to the New is hard to access and not the best. It's less than a 1/4 mile long stretch. Stick to the New for smallies.

Just keep in mind.....during higher flows the New River has class II and III rapids in the stretch from Narrows to WV. The New River gorge area much farther downstream in WV has class V rapids and the Gauley river in Oct/Nov has the most class V rapids East of the Mississippi River. A thrill seekers haven. I did it once.....that's it for me.

You can see in Sep.... that the New is at it's lowest and safest flows.

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/usa...365&begin_date=2018-04-07&end_date=2018-04-14

Good luck to you.....

ft09
Cool thanks for the quick link to the USGS. ... i hope i didn't sound Flippant about your wading warning, i do appreciate. It sounds a lot like wading the Potomac. Ill plan on generally wet wading and ill wear my inflatable PFD.

the Potomac flows at around 12-1500 for safe wade-able water and the safe thing to do is just walk the rock shelf's and never get above knee deep once you get out into the main body. I always wear my PFD when wading the Potomac and I always wade with a 56" collapsible wading staff also so ill just keep my guard up and see what it looks like when i get down there. Im not looking for glory or stories so if i get down there and find out its too much water to deal with ill just look for some smaller surrounding water tributaries. Indian creek and the Bluestone river is also just 25/30 minutes drive away so there is lots of exploring that can be had if the New isnt working.

Thanks for the info!