Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Anyone fish the "yough# near deep creek lake in MD?

Quote Originally Posted by hambone111 View Post
    50fish, i think this was where i fished the last time we did so well. i was looking on a map but i couldn't remember when we parked. i just didnt fish the river consistently enough to remember.

i do remember that drive down to the North branch potomac .... harrowing to say the least.

Ive also NEVER caught a fish out of the lower savage River, below the dam. i hear there is great fishing there but IDK, ive never every had even a hook up. Can you comment 50Fish?
    The popular fishing area for the castleman runs from the 68 bridge, through the town of grantsville, to the PA state line. There is a road that follows the river through this stretch, lots of parking areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Anyone fish the "yough# near deep creek lake in MD?

As someone mentioned earlier, be wary of the recreational whitewater releases if you are fishing downstream from the dam. They are typically Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays from May until mid-October, with unscheduled releases for power generation. Call Deep Creek Hydro (315) 413-2823 for up to date info before you go. And be sure to grab lunch at Water Street Cafe in Friendsville (world renowned pepperoni rolls!), tell Chris that Ben sent ya!

Deep Creek - Brookfield Renewable
    Montani Semper Liberi

www.cheat.org

3. Default Re: Anyone fish the "yough# near deep creek lake in MD?

I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for their advice. I hit both the yough and the lower savage and enjoyed both very much. I found the savage to be much harder to fish, but four hours on that river made me better at fly fishing than the entire spring of fishing in nj.

4. Thanks hambone111 thanked for this post
    Likes MarsB liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseburgerFly View Post
    I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for their advice. I hit both the yough and the lower savage and enjoyed both very much. I found the savage to be much harder to fish, but four hours on that river made me better at fly fishing than the entire spring of fishing in nj.
    Good to hear your time out there was positive.

how were water levels? we have had so much rain in MD this year, but its been very localized.

Savage is a tough river. All of western MD rivers are high quality and a good time. you'll have to find a friend and make a trip to the North Branch of the Potomac river. shoot me a PM if you get around to that and ill give you parking directions.

6. Default Re: Anyone fish the "yough# near deep creek lake in MD?

The north branch came highly recommended but all said its not safe to go solo. I would love to do a float trip with the local guide PJ daley at some point down the road.

The savage was fishing at 50 cfs when i was there.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseburgerFly View Post
    The north branch came highly recommended but all said its not safe to go solo. I would love to do a float trip with the local guide PJ daley at some point down the road.

The savage was fishing at 50 cfs when i was there.
    Yes the north branch is not safe by yourself. But if you find a buddy to go with and you check the water table before you go and just use common sense wading judgement you'll be safe and sound. ive done it many times with friends and family. its the closest thing to "back country" fishing you can find in MD.

50CFS is pretty good. i think western MD has missed much of the terrible deluges we have had here in more central MD.

Glad you made the trek out west. now you'll be dreaming about it until next summer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12