Rapidan

c web

Reaction score
Been cruising the internet and my interest is really peaked on the Rapidan in Virginia. Sounds like a really cool stream with a lot of history and good fish. Thinking about heading up and giving it a try, wondering if anyone has any tips, specifically about camping close to the stream. Hiking a few miles for a good camp spot is no problem. Thanks in advance!

jayr

Reaction score
Been cruising the internet and my interest is really peaked on the Rapidan in Virginia. Sounds like a really cool stream with a lot of history and good fish. Thinking about heading up and giving it a try, wondering if anyone has any tips, specifically about camping close to the stream. Hiking a few miles for a good camp spot is no problem. Thanks in advance!

I am very familiar with the Rapidan. The best way to access it is from outside the Park. Come in through Criglersville to access the upper section where Rapidan Camp is, but be aware, the road is extremely rough. I mean very rutted and you will need a decent 4 wheel drive to get in there. You will enter through the Rapidan WMA and then back into the SNP. It is worth the drive. You can access the lower Rapidan just inside the Park with just a regular car, but the parking is very limited as a lot of hikers use it. I don’t think the fishing is as good as the upper section. The upper has nice deep pools and last fall even with very low water caught a nice 11” male among others. There are larger ones than that.

IM me for more details.

c web

Reaction score
That does it, I'm going. I do have a jeep so not too worried about the road from Criglersville, more worried about driving the jeep the 5 hours up there.

I was actually thinking about hiking in but looks like that might be quite a pull to get into the good stuff up around Rapidan camps.

jayr

Reaction score
No need to hike in to Rapidan Camp, you can drive. Just a little ways past the camp is a locked gate heading further into SNP. With the exception of Skyline Drive, there are really not many roads inside the SNP. To fish you either have to drive into the SNP and pay to do that and then hike down and walk back up. Otherwise you drive in from the outside and park at the boundary. To get to Rapidan, use Quaker Run road, it’s on all the maps.

No camping inside the park except at campgrounds, you might have more leeway inside the Rapidan WMA which is state owned.

c web

Reaction score
I am for sure going.

I am looking at planning something for mid Augustish. Love to have company if anyone on the forum wants to put something together hit me up. If not, I am not afraid of a solo. :D

jayr

Reaction score
I am for sure going.

I am looking at planning something for mid Augustish. Love to have company if anyone on the forum wants to put something together hit me up. If not, I am not afraid of a solo. :D
Pay attention to the water levels. If they’re on the low side, head up as far as you can go. Find the deeper pools. I fished it last September and it was low. Fished it again in early November and it was even lower.

The closest USGS gauge for the Rapidan is the one at Ruckersville. Keep an eye on that one.

Some other really good fishing a bit closer than SNP is the GWNF a bit closer to you. The areas in and around Amherst have some really good fishing as well.

All the brook trout up there are the northern strain and are quite a bit larger than their southern cousins down in NC and TN. It’s not uncommon to catch 12” or larger in VA.