Hogue Creek, VA

axle27

Reaction score
Anyone ever fished this creek? It's in extreme northern VA. The VA DNR only stocks trout between Rt. 50 & Rt. 522.

Just wondering how it was and where is the best place to put in. Not actually to float it, just where one can fish that is public.

vaflyguy

Reaction score
Anyone ever fished this creek? It's in extreme northern VA. The VA DNR only stocks trout between Rt. 50 & Rt. 522.

Just wondering how it was and where is the best place to put in. Not actually to float it, just where one can fish that is public.
I live near and fish Hogue. It's all on private land that mostly cow pasture, access is granted but parking is very limited. and you have to avoid the farmer's gate by the road or he gets upset. You just missed the latest stocking I think. Want to know more?

axle27

Reaction score
Absolutely!!!!

I live somewhat near there. I live in Winchester, but have hunted in Morgan County, WV for most of my life. I usually fish in the North Fork of the South Branch but it's a decent ride to that.

Although I grew up in this area, I don't know alot of people of fly fish in the immediate area. The only guy I know that does moved to McLean this past summer. We still fish together once in the spring and once in the fall, but that's about all.

vaflyguy

Reaction score
I live in Purcellville. Normally I take my son/s there once or twice a year (once a year per creek). You live in Win and haven't fished Hogue? Hate to tell ya theres no big holes, and real need for waders either. Enter from 50, go down Hayfield rd to Indian Hollow (I believe) follow it down to the creek(couple of miles). Before you cross the bridge look to your left(you should be looking downstream)and you'll see a big hole in the fence by the bridge footers and rock, believe it or not, thats the lawful entry point. If you cross the bridge to park DO NOT block the gate on your right and across the drainage creek, it's used daily by the guy who owns the farm. If I find any pictures of it all I'll post them.

Fish the holes, 1st is just down stream from the bridge, loops it's way into a nice tree covered pool about 50 yards from the flat water at the bridge. Next there a nice deep straight run behind the trees, find the pockets back there. Theres also a fallen tree back in those trees with some deep water under it. I know it's deep there, my 6 year old fell in it one day. You run into a lot of open area with no cover or hole after that. I did good one day in about a foot of water in a bath tub sized hole down there, dead drifting san juan worms in crystal clear water. They're all state fish, stocked about 2 times a year, no natives. Oh and one other thing, watch the cows they have no fear of strangers down there.

vaflyguy

Reaction score
Got a pick for you. Not much but it gives you an idea. Off to the right in the pic is the entrance by the bridge, and as you can see the tree line depicts where the creek is going.
View attachment 1215

Attachments

axle27

Reaction score
Excellent. Thank you very much.

Is it fished pretty hard?

I haven't fished it because I've just recently (the last few years) gotten back into fishing, then I found Fly Fishing. I still don't have alot of time, but if a place is close, I'll give it a try. I also do some panfishing in a few ponds I know, but not much more.

Fishing is SC when I'm there, but that's more of saltwater fishing.

vaflyguy

Reaction score
The trick to that place is distance, the further you go the more fish you find, because the holes closest to the bridge are wiped clean in just a couple of days. I've walked back about 300 yards, but thats towing the load of my son and his gear too, otherwise I"d make an expedition of it. See that big hill on the right in my pic? I never went past that. On the other side of the creek is dirt road, but I haven't driven it yet and don't know if you can.

Reactions: Ard

bakerboy2222

Reaction score
Hey Axle and flyguy.
Hopefully digging up an old thread gets to your email, but I am looking for someone who knows the area to possibly go fishing a couple of times. I recently moved back to Winc after a stint up in NY and really want to get on the local streams and see whats there.

I've been to Hogue, Passage Creek, and a couple others but I'd like to make a few longer trips into SNP and the GW. If you're interested PM me, or comments on this will end up in my email. I also just posted another thread about this on the same forum for such things. Hope to hear back from you.

jrside

Reaction score
How about fishing the hogue during the winter? I might be up in that area in the next few weeks

axle27

Reaction score
I'm off until 02JAN13. Hit me up... I have a need to fish.

knyberg

Reaction score
I fished Houge creek last week and not a single sign of a fish.. Not so much as a hit and I drifted many different patterns. While walking back to the car overlooking the stream I never even spotted a fish in the longer slower moving pools. I think the spin fisherman follow the release tanker and pull all the fish out as soon as they go in. Two days later I went to the NB of the Potomac near Barnum and did much better with a bead.

powderfinger

Reaction score

lmfao, i luv axles signature !!!!:D