New to Northern VA

VaFlyDoc

Reaction score
Aloha all, moved to NoVA from Hawaii several months ago and just thought I would drop a line and introduce myself. I've been fly fishing about 8 years and spent the last six years chasing bonefish on Oahu. Since I've moved to VA I've been enjoying the brook trout in Shenandoah National Forest at the Rapidan, Conway and White Oak Canyon and I've been down to Mossy Creek as well. I know there's a whole lot more out there. I traded in my flats boat for a Flycraft drift boat and I'm looking forward to getting after the smallmouth this summer. Thanks for reading, looking forward to meeting other local fisherman, especially anyone who wants to do some drifts this summer. Cheers.

Nathan

flytie09

Reaction score
Welcome to VA. You found a good forum with NAFFF and we welcome your stories and questions.

There's some good drift boat fishing in Eastern TN. If you are looking for someone to share a boat ride with...give me a shout.

ft09 - Mike

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
Welcome to VA. I have been fishing the Rapidan for brookies and am about to check out White Oak. Depending where you are the is good fly fishing for shad, striped bass,smallmouth and other stuff on the tidal Potomac, near Geoegetown and Alexandria as well as the Rappahanock not far from Fredericksburg. Let me know if you are looking to hookup with either local fly shops or fly rodder groups in the area.

ddb

Reaction score
Also consider the Shenandoah --both branches -- for smallies; small lakes and big impoundments for LM; muskies -- and yes snakeheads -- in the Potomac and some lakes; and salt water fish in the Bay and its tribs. Major trout options in nearby PA and even some in MD.

None one should get bored here.

ddb

dennyk

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Nathan, hope you like it here as well as your new home. Big move from Hawaii to VA!

:welcomean

Denny

VaFlyDoc

Reaction score
Thanks all for the warm welcome! We moved in January in the middle of the snow storms and I have to admit there was a moment of "what was I thinking?" but I am really enjoying the area. So much to do, fishing aside. I'm definitely looking to hook up with other fly rodders in the area and it's pretty easy to get me on the water as long as I'm not working. I've looked at NVTU but unfortunately their monthly meeting times conflict with my schedule. My short list of fly fishing goals for the next 12 months:

1. Float the Shenandoah and James for smallmouth
2. Tidal Patomac for stripers and snakehead
3. The Delaware river (headed up mid June this summer)
4. Land a muskie from the Shenandoah or James (this would be epic)

and while I'm at it why not sneak down to the Bahamas next winter to go after the bones?

At any rate guys thanks again, please hit me up if you have an extra spot the next time you're headed out. I make a mean turkey sandwich.

Nathan

Attachments

ddb

Reaction score
Nathan,

Forgot one thing. Try Tidal Potomac Flyrodders at:
Google Groups

They fish all over the area, share tips on where/when/how and hold regular "Beer Ties" at a pub in Arlington not far from the Arlington ORVIS shop. You could do worse, easily.

ddb

jspfishing

Reaction score
welcome! Im down in Richmond. Perfect timing to start jumping on smallmouth. My friend and I float the Shenandoah and do well. We always look for an extra guy to hop on the drift boat. Maybe one time you can roll out with us to crush some bass.

VaFlyDoc

Reaction score
Thanks man I appreciate it! I have a drift boat I'm itching to get in the water this summer. Give me a yell anytime.

50fish

Reaction score
Welcome to the area. I Live about 5 minutes from Mossy creek. As everyone else has said, tons of great smallmouth water to float. And if you don’t enjoy fishing the shad runs you might as well sell your fishing gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AReed

Reaction score
I am new to this forum myself but, you must add the New River to your list. Grayson County area. World class smallmouth fishery!

North Coast Dreamer

Reaction score
I’m a new guy on this forum too and would love to get out chasing smallies with folks this spring. I don’t have access to a boat but will gladly learn to row if someone is willing to teach me (or donate lunch, flies, adult beverages). Cheers and see you on the river.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know why the state has “closed” the delayed harvest portion of Passage Creek? I was passing through a few weeks ago and didn’t see any posted signs but I also didn’t fish that section. I understand they’re working on the hatchery (happy about that) but can’t understand why that work would deem that portion of the system to be closed. Thanks in advance.

-Luke

vaheelsfan

Reaction score
I’m a new guy on this forum too and would love to get out chasing smallies with folks this spring. I don’t have access to a boat but will gladly learn to row if someone is willing to teach me (or donate lunch, flies, adult beverages). Cheers and see you on the river.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know why the state has “closed” the delayed harvest portion of Passage Creek? I was passing through a few weeks ago and didn’t see any posted signs but I also didn’t fish that section. I understand they’re working on the hatchery (happy about that) but can’t understand why that work would deem that portion of the system to be closed. Thanks in advance.

-Luke
Can't say for sure, but probably just has to do with keeping people away from increased traffic and construction. I'm pretty sure they closed the stream below the Coursey Springs Hatchery when it was renovated, as well.