Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to Northern VA

Aloha all, moved to NoVA from Hawaii several months ago and just thought I would drop a line and introduce myself. I've been fly fishing about 8 years and spent the last six years chasing bonefish on Oahu. Since I've moved to VA I've been enjoying the brook trout in Shenandoah National Forest at the Rapidan, Conway and White Oak Canyon and I've been down to Mossy Creek as well. I know there's a whole lot more out there. I traded in my flats boat for a Flycraft drift boat and I'm looking forward to getting after the smallmouth this summer. Thanks for reading, looking forward to meeting other local fisherman, especially anyone who wants to do some drifts this summer. Cheers.

Nathan

2. Likes flytie09, City Rat liked this post

Default Re: New to Northern VA

Welcome to VA. You found a good forum with NAFFF and we welcome your stories and questions.

There's some good drift boat fishing in Eastern TN. If you are looking for someone to share a boat ride with...give me a shout.

ft09 - Mike

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Welcome to VA. I have been fishing the Rapidan for brookies and am about to check out White Oak. Depending where you are the is good fly fishing for shad, striped bass,smallmouth and other stuff on the tidal Potomac, near Geoegetown and Alexandria as well as the Rappahanock not far from Fredericksburg. Let me know if you are looking to hookup with either local fly shops or fly rodder groups in the area.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Also consider the Shenandoah --both branches -- for smallies; small lakes and big impoundments for LM; muskies -- and yes snakeheads -- in the Potomac and some lakes; and salt water fish in the Bay and its tribs. Major trout options in nearby PA and even some in MD.

None one should get bored here.

ddb

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Nathan, hope you like it here as well as your new home. Big move from Hawaii to VA!

Denny

Thanks all for the warm welcome! We moved in January in the middle of the snow storms and I have to admit there was a moment of "what was I thinking?" but I am really enjoying the area. So much to do, fishing aside. I'm definitely looking to hook up with other fly rodders in the area and it's pretty easy to get me on the water as long as I'm not working. I've looked at NVTU but unfortunately their monthly meeting times conflict with my schedule. My short list of fly fishing goals for the next 12 months:

1. Float the Shenandoah and James for smallmouth
    2. Tidal Patomac for stripers and snakehead
    3. The Delaware river (headed up mid June this summer)
    4. Land a muskie from the Shenandoah or James (this would be epic)

and while I'm at it why not sneak down to the Bahamas next winter to go after the bones?

At any rate guys thanks again, please hit me up if you have an extra spot the next time you're headed out. I make a mean turkey sandwich.

Nathan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Nathan,

Forgot one thing. Try Tidal Potomac Flyrodders at:
    Google Groups

They fish all over the area, share tips on where/when/how and hold regular "Beer Ties" at a pub in Arlington not far from the Arlington ORVIS shop. You could do worse, easily.

ddb

Thanks I will definitely check them out.

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Say X2 on Tidal Potomac Fly rodders PM me if you want more detailed info on the group and "Casting Church" . Also you can still add float the Potomac for the Shad run, which is any day now. A very fun fish.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast