Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Default Need a fishing/camping spot for Boy Scouts in MD or southern PA in mid August

Can you suggest a location?

I've been asked to host a Troop level fishing trip in mid August. It will be Friday night through Sunday night. I need camping for up to 25 scouts and a place where they can catch bass and/or pan fish. This will be about the boys having fun, learning about the fishing and fly fishing merit badges and hopefully catching some fish.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

2. Likes Ard, flytie09 liked this post

Default Re: Need a fishing/camping spot for Boy Scouts in MD or southern PA in mid August

One place to consider would be Antietam National Battlefield. They have a campsite exclusively for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. It's right next to Antietam creek, which you can fish as long as you're at least a certain distance from Burnside Bridge. I've taught the Fising Merit Badge there and it's worked out pretty well. You have the additional benefit of having other things to see and do than just fishing.

Antietiam Programs for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.

4. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post
    Likes ejsell liked this post

Default Re: Need a fishing/camping spot for Boy Scouts in MD or southern PA in mid August

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    One place to consider would be Antietam National Battlefield. They have a campsite exclusively for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. It's right next to Antietam creek, which you can fish as long as you're at least a certain distance from Burnside Bridge. I've taught the Fising Merit Badge there and it's worked out pretty well. You have the additional benefit of having other things to see and do than just fishing.

Antietiam Programs for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
    Thank you redietz!

I haven't fished those waters (or visited your link yet, but will after work today). How is the fishing there and what type of fish are they likely to catch? Since you've taught the fishing merit badge before, I assume you are aware of the skill level, or lack there of, some of the scouts will have. If you prefer to reply in a PM, please feel free to do so.

I appreciate the suggestion.

EDIT: Okay, so I did a quick look at the link. Some reviews said no water. One said there was water. What options are there for water and bathrooms? I can call the number listed as well.
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

I don't actually remember about faciltities (it's been over a dozen years) but I found another site (recreation.gov) that says this:

Ten sites are available for advance reservation. Each campsite offers a fire ring and picnic tables and space to accommodate a maximum of 30 people. Outdoor restrooms are available at the campground and indoor facilities are located at the Antietam National Cemetery and the visitor center. A water spigot is available at the visitor center - please provide your own water containers.
    As far as fish, it's warm water. Smallmouth bass, various sunfish, and large fallfish. I think every one of the scouts caught at least something.

Most of the scouts I went with were very inexperienced.

BTW, whereever you end up going, the Maryland state record for redbreast sunfish is currently vacant (with a 14 oz minimum) I'd love to see a kid claim it, redbreasts are fairly large sunfish and 14 ounces seems doable.

7. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post

I don't actually remember about faciltities (it's been over a dozen years) but I found another site (recreation.gov) that says this:

As far as fish, it's warm water. Smallmouth bass, various sunfish, and large fallfish. I think every one of the scouts caught at least something.

BTW, whereever you end up going, the Maryland state record for redbreast sunfish is currently vacant (with a 14 oz minimum) I'd love to see a kid claim it, redbreasts are fairly large sunfish and 14 ounces seems doable.
    Hi redietz,

This sounds perfect. I'll call them next week. Thank you for all the information!
    Todd

~ Doug Larson

Hi redietz,

This sounds perfect. I'll call them next week. Thank you for all the information!
    Todd

~ Doug Larson