New guy from Pa

rag

Reaction score
I'm getting back into fly fishing after a 4 year break. I got involved in Pro BBQing on the Kansas City circuit, which side-lined me.
I'm equipped, can cast and do well at fishing, .... but lousy at catching. I really need to improve on that part.
Hopefully, I will learn something from you folks.

Also, my wife is taking up FF this year. I better get my act together.

Ron

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Welcome, glad to see you getting back into it and even better with your wife now. My wife got into flyfishing when she first meet me a couple three years back and loves it. She has really gottin into it the last year here. We are from St. Joseph, MO about an hour north of KC. We moved to Heber Springs. Ar a little over a year ago and have the Little Red river just about 2 miles from the house. Great brown and bow, with a chance at a brookie. We alkso warm water fly fish, anyway since she has got into it with me, haveing her and my on one of teh rivers or lake with me it has been so much more fun.
Good luck to ya both
Bear

FISHN50

Reaction score
Hi Rag
Welcome to the group. A finer bunch of people you won't find anywhere.
There's a few people from Pa on the site. I'm from NJ & I used to fish Eastern Pa. quite a bit. Where about in PA are you & where do you fish??.......

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi rag,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you found us and I think you will enjoy the great people here. Do you tie flies or is that in your future? My wife was a good tier and tied most of my flies at one time.

Frank

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Rag: Welcome back to fly fishing and to this group. You should count your blessings on having a wife that also enjoys fly fishing! Looking forward to your posts.

Larry

sandfly

Reaction score
I'm getting back into fly fishing after a 4 year break. I got involved in Pro BBQing on the Kansas City circuit, which side-lined me.
I'm equipped, can cast and do well at fishing, .... but lousy at catching. I really need to improve on that part.
Hopefully, I will learn something from you folks.

Also, my wife is taking up FF this year. I better get my act together.

Ron

Where in Pa are you ??

rag

Reaction score
We live in Mertztown, Pa. It is half way between Allentown and Reading.
The 2 best streams near by are the Little Lehigh and the Tulpehocken.
Yes, I tie flies. I also build my own rods (Loomis and Sage blanks), but would like to buy an Orvis.
I have a 10 wt factory Sage that I tried in salt surf fishing. Have a ton of salt fly tying material. I live too far from the shore to master surf fishing and have dropped it. I'm thinking of selling the rod, reel and tying stuff.
Where I'll be watching you guys is on how to select the right fly and how to fish it. That is my short coming that keeps a fun day from being great.
Thanks for the nice welcome.

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
Rag,

I'm a little west of you, in York. Let me just say that with all the world class trout streams and the Susquehanna and Delaware, PA has more miles of streams than any other state!
This stinkin' cold spell has things messed up, but soon everything will turn green and the bite will be on.
I've been doing quite well with a fly rod. So will you.
Smallmouth, striped bass, shad, rockbass, fallfish, chanel cats, and stocked and wild trout.
This is a great site. I've only been here for a short time and the wealth of knowledge is second to none.

Pocono

Reaction score
Rag,

I'm a little Northeast of you in the Poconos; Pocono Pines to be exact. The Little Lehigh is a good trout fishery up here; particularly below the Walther Dam near White Haven. It's the closest thing to big river fishing that we get up here; unless we travel 100 miles to the Northern branches of the Delaware River (worth the trip every time!). My wife is my usual fishing partner and she usually catches the lion's share of the fish - but I'm gaining on her! :)

Welcome to the forum!

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Hey Ron, welcome to the board. You've got some great fishing there, and as you can see we have a lot of members in PA.

Glad you've joined us. Feel free to jump in on discussions, ask questions, whatever. Lot's of good folks here.

peregrines