Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Harpers Ferry WV 7/26-28

Hey guys,

Heading up to Harpers Ferry for the first time the weekend of 7/26 and looking for any and all pointers. Going to stop in at white fly outfitters as well and I'm sure I'll find some fun toys to spend money on.

Main goal of the trip is to catch my first smallmouth whether it be on fly or conventional, but would be interested in trout fishing as well if there is anywhere nearby to give it a try. Taking a 9' 5wt and 9' 8wt as well as a spinning setup and baitcasting setup.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Harpers Ferry WV 7/26-28

Something you might consider is buying a Maryland fishing license rather than a WV one. It allows you to fish the Potomac from either bank, including both Va and WV. (A WV license would allow you to fish it only from WV and MD.)

OTOH, the Potomac has been running high for the last year or so (it's about double average flow right now) and wading it may not be an option. If you do go with MD option, several streams in Maryland that feed into the Potomac (e.g. Catoctin Creek and Antitiem Creek) have pretty good smallmouth fishing. I assume there are similar in WV.

If you do go the MD license and it's trout you're looking for, Beaver Creek in MD isn't very far from Harper's Ferry. It's a limestone spring creek.

The White Fly shop will give you good advice, as will the Beaver Creek shop in MD.
    Last edited by redietz; 07-19-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    Bob

3. Likes mcnerney, NcStateFisher liked this post

Default Re: Harpers Ferry WV 7/26-28

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Something you might consider is buying a Maryland fishing license rather than a WV one. It allows you to fish the Potomac from either bank, including both Va and WV. (A WV license would allow you to fish it only from WV and MD.)

OTOH, the Potomac has been running high for the last year or so (it's about double average flow right now) and wading it may not be an option. If you do go with MD option, several streams in Maryland that feed into the Potomac (e.g. Catoctin Creek and Antitiem Creek) have pretty good smallmouth fishing. I assume there are similar in WV.

If you do go the MD license and it's trout you're looking for, Beaver Creek in MD isn't very far from Harper's Ferry. It's a limestone spring creek.

The White Fly shop will give you good advice, as will the Beaver Creek shop in MD.
    Awesome advice and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks bud!