Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Default Have you ever seen one of these?

I've seen golden trout, bull trout, tiger trout, cuthroat, cutbow and palomino trout....but do you recall the most rarest trout of all? The blue trout?

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

2. Thanks moucheur2003 thanked for this post
    Likes cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Have you ever seen one of these?

Never a hatchery bred model but caught a Sunapee trout / char ? in Main back in 1994. I think they also call them blue back trout up there, my understanding is that they are considered to be extinct throughout most of their eastern range. The shame is that I was fishing for land locked salmon and very unceremoniously unhooked the fish (no picture) and let it go. Only after having the rest of that day and the next to reflect did I realize just how different that fish had been. The things we see & do I guess...….

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes cpiercem liked this post

I remember reading about these... back in time.. a long ways. It was sometime in the mid or late 1990s when I caught my first palomino rainbow, and I was trying to find out about them. Needless to say I was amazed by variation in colors of rainbows at the time.

We have or had some of the Sunapee trout as an introduced species here in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho. They were on my bucket list of species to catch in Idaho.
    Cindy

6. Likes Ard liked this post

I caught this rainbow in Massachusetts around 5 years ago that had a bluish hue to it. Don't think I've ever caught one with the same type of coloration.

trout.jpg

8. Likes dennyk liked this post
  9. Default Re: Have you ever seen one of these?

Several hatcheries in the UK commonly breed blue rainbows, so the issues in the OP have clearly been overcome. I have to say that none I've caught were as pretty as those in the pictures.
    They fight more stongly than standard rainbows but apparently grow slightly more slowly and hence are more expensive to buy. Until four or five years ago my local reservoir stocked thousands a year - at one time I believe it was upto 20% of the stocking.

I saw some of these at a wildlife and trout sanctuary in NZ. At the time I had no idea what they were, I figured the were a species of char or maybe even an Aurora trout.
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    I've seen golden trout, bull trout, tiger trout, cuthroat, cutbow and palomino trout....but do you recall the most rarest trout of all? The blue trout?

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg
    I remember seeing the blue trout at the Petersburg Hatchery in about 1972 or 1973 when my dad and I had stopped by the hatchery after doing some fishing at Smokehole. They were unique for sure!

Never seen a hatchery blue trout, but one of these days I would like to catch one of New England's so-called "blueback trout", which are actually a natural relict population of landlocked Arctic char.

Photos: The Mythical Blueback Trout of Maine - Orvis News

13. Likes flytie09 liked this post