PA Fly Fishing Guide Book?

WVUPSC

Reaction score
I see several options out there. Any recommendations on the best PA guide book. I’m looking to expand my range into PA.

Thanks...

jayr

Reaction score
I'm not up on fishing in PA, but something I have found that might save you some coin (if you haven't already) is to go to Amazon and put in the book title Fishing in PA. See all of the books that pop up and notice most, if not all, are available used. I have bought several used fly fishing books and the condition is usually much better than the online description. And one time I hit the jackpot in that the previous owner had written pretty good notes on a separate piece of paper which was still in the book.

WVUPSC

Reaction score
I agree that there are good deals on Amazon if you buy used, which I do. There are several options for PA fly fishing on Amazon. Some available used; some not. I was hoping someone here was familiar with those options. The reviews on Amazon were not especially helpful.

neshannock

Reaction score
The three I have found most useful are as follows:
Trout Streams of Pennsylvania by Dwight Landis; Fly Fisher's Guide to Pennsylvania by Tom Gilmore; and Keystone Fly Fishing by Mile Heck et. al.

Wherever you journey, stop at a fly shop, buy some flies or tippet, and get the latest on water, hatches, spots to fish etc.-- whether you're far west at Neshannock Creek Outfitters or far east at TCO.

Best of luck; PA has some very diverse and very enjoyable waters.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
keystone Fly Fishing is the best one and the Tom Gilmore book is good also. The Landis book is somewhat dated and streams have changed but it still has good information. The Charlie Meck books are dated also but can give you a idea how some streams used to be both good and bad and are different today

There is another book "Pennsylvania Trout & salmon Fishing Guide" by Mike Sajna. This book has a lot of historical information about the streams and rivers. However its use as a Fishing Guide is lacking. Its also dated as well.

cwb124

Reaction score
Best of luck; PA has some very diverse and very enjoyable waters.
Yeah and it's a shame that a significant number of the angling population are heavily in favor of put and take fishing, and don't realize that PA if managed properly could be on par with Montana in terms of fish size and action. This state boggles my mind...

KenBrown

Reaction score
Yeah and it's a shame that a significant number of the angling population are heavily in favor of put and take fishing, and don't realize that PA if managed properly could be on par with Montana in terms of fish size and action. This state boggles my mind...
Yea I dunno what is going on in PA anymore. The amount of areas to fish in the Poconos alone is staggering..however..they are either private or 'pay to fish' places. The Lehigh valley has several nice streams for trout but you have to fish around a bunch of a-holes who keep everything and treat the fish like ****.

cwb124

Reaction score
Yea I dunno what is going on in PA anymore. The amount of areas to fish in the Poconos alone is staggering..however..they are either private or 'pay to fish' places. The Lehigh valley has several nice streams for trout but you have to fish around a bunch of a-holes who keep everything and treat the fish like ****.
Access is definitely a major issue. But the put and take...drives me crazy. First of all, stocked fish tastes mushy and bland. It's not like you're catching filet mignon. These guys with bags full of trout confuse the hell out of me. I would MUCH rather catch and release a 20" brown than throw 6 8" stocked fish into my creel. And I refuse to hear the "food on the table" argument because you have all kinds of fishing gear, a $30 license and a $50k pickup truck. You're not hurting for food and if you calculate the price per pound of the fish you're catching, you'd save money by buying prime rib.

KenBrown

Reaction score
Access is definitely a major issue. But the put and take...drives me crazy. First of all, stocked fish tastes mushy and bland. It's not like you're catching filet mignon. These guys with bags full of trout confuse the hell out of me. I would MUCH rather catch and release a 20" brown than throw 6 8" stocked fish into my creel. And I refuse to hear the "food on the table" argument because you have all kinds of fishing gear, a $30 license and a $50k pickup truck. You're not hurting for food and if you calculate the price per pound of the fish you're catching, you'd save money by buying prime rib.
You could always access the lakes on the DL if you aren't worried about the 'rent a cops' kicking you out. For instance, there is an awesome lake not far from my in-laws house. We used to fish there all the time with no issue. Now, some BS company bought the land and won't let anyone fish it. They actually pay someone to drive around and monitor a lake...

Gotribe

Reaction score
Land is’ book is great. Which side are you on, Eastern or Western PA?