stocked trout

wesley

Reaction score
Iam wesley I am 12 and live in wheeling west virginia and I dont have any places that dont have stock trout only and I have been haveing a hardtime catching them on a fly rod if anyone has some tips let me know thanks,wesley

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Wesley,

Welcome to the forum I am glad you decided to join NAFFF. You may be our youngest member. At least the youngest that is posting right now. I think we can get you some tips but it would help to know what gear and flies your are using. Also is there a fly shop close to you?

Frank

MBWCC

Reaction score
It has been my personal observation that recently stocked trout are obsessed with bright orange objects. For example, the local fly shop sells a "steely stone" which is essentially a fluorescent orange colored pheasant tail nymph. It kills for the first 2 weeks after the state(s) stock the local streams. My personal favorite is a fluoresecent orange silicone egg. I have fished a pool of trout stocked 2-3 days prior and spent more time removing barbless hooks than I spent watching a fluorescent orange silicone egg drift through the pool.

Absent either of those two flourescent orange flies or another close substitute I have been known to overhand knot a small bit of fluoresecent orange "egg" yarn in the tippet or leader about 10" above the first wet fly. When I use the overhand knotted fluorescent orange yarn I get more than a few what I refer to as "head shake and off" which I suspect is a trout who grabbed the yarn and caught a bit of floss on his/her teeth so couldn't spit the yarn immediately. I also get a few fish foul hooked on the first fly which suggests a bite at the yarn followed by flossing tippet through the trout's mouth.

If all you have is stocked trout (recent stocked at that--less than 2-3 weeks since stocking) give fluorescent orange a try.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Hey Wesley welcome to the board.

What flies are you using and what kind of water are you fishing--- small fast mountain streams, slow streams, bigger rivers, small shallow ponds, big deep lakes?

What patterns and size flies have you been using? If you give us a little more info maybe we could help ya a bit.

Since the water temps are warming up a bit, the trout should get more active, and hopefully the fishing will get better for you.

mark

Tracker12

Reaction score
Also the San Juan worm in red or orange works well on stocked stram trout. I fished opening day in PA in a fly fishing area. At the top of the section were a bunch of trout that were getting full of all the power bait coming over the falls. I put on a floresent great egg imitation and had a ball catching and releasing. I guess I was matching the hatch.

wesley

Reaction score
well first off thank you guys for helping well no one in my family fly fishes I seen some one on tv fly fishing and 2 days later I bot a cheap fly rod at wal mart and did not no wat to do so I bot a book and read it then I cot some bass at a pond by my house and I LOVED it so I bot a FLY fishing magazine named fly fishing and tying journal and their was an essay contest the winers got to go to a fly fishing camp in CA I WON and got to go from west virginia to CA for free and my pic was in their magazine a fue months ago with a rambow i cot wen I was their but the trout I cot were natives and thay did not sa any thing about stocked trout so I need some tips to help me catch more stocked trout I will try anthing y guys sa will work I fish in lakes small streams and big streams with a 4 wait sage fly rod I received for christmas this year so thankS agan ,WESLEY

peregrines

Reaction score
WOW!!!!!

Great stuff Wesley, and congratulations on winning that essay contest-- and on catching those fish. It sounds like you are a die hard fly fisherman.

Ask your parents, and if it's OK with them, send me your address, and I'll plunk a few flies in the mail for ya.

mark

MBWCC

Reaction score

wesley

Reaction score
WOW!!!!!

Great stuff Wesley, and congratulations on winning that essay contest-- and on catching those fish. It sounds like you are a die hard fly fisherman.

Ask your parents, and if it's OK with them, send me your address, and I'll plunk a few flies in the mail for ya.

mark
edited out address- sorry I should have specified sending it by personal message- mark

thanks, wesley

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Wesley,
It's great to see a young guy take an interest in flyfishing :) ! A world of
excitement awaits you, and you should take advantage of every chance to
fish and learn. Check with your state's fishery department for trout streams
in your area. Find a Trout Unlimited chapter, and join. Go to the nearest
fly shop, and ask the locals where to go. Ask the shop folks for any and all
info about flyfishing in your area, etc.

Since you're 12, driving to streams with native trout means you'll be dependent on a licensed driver. That can be a parent, aunt or uncle, or any
relative that likes to fish. Ask your parents if there are any fishermen in your
family that might take you along. My nephews live less than one mile from
a trout stocked lake, and I'm always begging them to go with me: not much
luck, however, as they like video games and TV more :icon_frow .

Don't overlook the non-trout species within walking/bicycling distance. Bass
are great to fish for, and bluegill are always fun to catch. I live across
from a great stream, and it holds perch, catfish, bluegill, largemouth and
smallmouth bass, and even stripped bass that migrate up from the nearby
Delaware River. Most of the larger species are HUGE, and are a ton of fun
to fish for. Don't get the idea that flyfishing is a trout only thing.

Lastly, it might not be wise to post your name and address on a public
forum. I would suggest that you use the private message feature this
forum offers to share personal information. I was a tough guy when I was
your age (as are all 12-yr-olds), but you still need to be careful.....

peregrines

Reaction score
Wesley-

Frank gave you great advice, and made a good point about posting your address---- my fault I should have mentioned sending it by PM (private message) using the mail feature ( in the upper right corner you should see a gray box in the menu bar that says "Welcome Wesley" If you click on 'private messages' you can send info to people without posting to the board, and it will tell you if you have any mail from other members of the forum. I'll send you one so you can see how it works).

But not to worry, I jotted your address down, then deleted it from your post.

I'll send you out some flies to try for bass and trout.

Good luck and keep posting, we want to hear about all your adventures!

mark