Fishing near Calgary

drsturgeon

Reaction score
I found this forum while trying to research areas to fish while up in Calgary for a conference. I'll be staying in Calgary July 15-20th and am trying to find some areas both in town and around Calgary. I'm not concerned about finding hot spots, just a good access location where a guy can catch some fish. I've been out of the fly-fishing game for awhile after moving to Nebraska and I am very excited to break out the fly rod and get back to it.

From what I have read so far, I have heard the Bow on the south side of Calgary is a good spot. Can someone point me to an access or parking area? I'll be wade fishing and I have access to a rental car. Also, I am planing on going up to Banff National Park (probably in the Lake Louise area) on two different days, so any recommendations in and around that area would be great.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to interacting with you all on this forum!

rfong

Reaction score
The Bow river runs right through Calgary. It is a big river with big fish. It is most effectively fished with a drift boat and there are boat ramps all along the river for wading access.

There are few fishable rivers near Banff as the rivers are mostly Glacier melt, however if you go Southwest of Calgary there are a whole nest of rivers. Within 1 - 3 hours drive there is the Crowsnest, Oldman, St. Mary's, and Waterton. They are all centered around Pincher Creek AB.

I'm heading that way in 3 days.

rfong

Reaction score
The Bow river runs right through Calgary. It is a big river with big fish. It is most effectively fished with a drift boat and there are boat ramps all along the river for wading access.

There are few fishable rivers near Banff as the rivers are mostly Glacier melt, however if you go Southwest of Calgary there are a whole nest of rivers. Within 1 - 3 hours drive there is the Crowsnest, Oldman, St. Mary's, and Waterton. They are all centered around Pincher Creek AB.

I'm heading that way in 3 days.

drsturgeon

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, rfong. Good luck to you in the next couple of days when you head that way!

hollisd

Reaction score
Bumping this thread as I'm heading to Calgary this summer.

Does anyone know any spring creeks in Alberta that are the anti-Bow?

I'm looking for an intimate fly fishing experience possibly in the prairie land in the valley and wonder if there are any smaller waters with slabs under the banks.