Banff National Park - Help

Wheels

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board and new to fly fishing, I have done the Spinning Rod, Bobber Fly Fishing, but have inherited a Fly Road.

Any advice on where I can go in Banff National Park with some chance of getting a bite on the fly would be greatly appreciated. Also any types of fly suggestions would be more than welcome.

I do not want to do a guided trip, as I find doing it on my on time frame is much nicer.

Thanks,

kereynolds

Reaction score
Did you ever get a reply to your post? We're heading up to Banff in August and hope to doing some flyfishing too. I understand that the Bow River above Banff is one stretch to try.

smudger564

Reaction score
Hi, Tried the Bow near the golf course at Bannf some years ago. Caught small cutt throaters which were briiliant sport.

The joke at the time was," we ain't seen a Black Bear here in years". We saw one on the golf course. No one believed us, but luckily one of the boys took a pic, to prove it.

Best regards

Stuart:)

Last edited:

billyspey

Reaction score
just south out of the park toward Calgary is a pull off , just follow the trail to the river good fishing. i would make some loud noise as i walked the trail might encounter a bear. or blow a whistle

tbone616

Reaction score
The Bow also runs right along the highway just before you reach Lake Louise, which is just west of Banff. There is some real good fishing there but just a reminder if you are going to be fishing inside the National Park you need a special licence, which you can get in Banff.

ratsnest

Reaction score
Hey,

Resurrecting this thread since I'm headed there this summer with my wife. Would love to find a place I could wader fly fish, which the wife sits in the hammock to read. We will be staying in Canmore.

Priorities:
1. Beautiful
2. Remote
3. Fish

Last edited:

huronfly

Reaction score
I have a buddy that was fishing out that way this past summer at hummingbird creek, just outside of Banff park, and close to Canmore and reported good success. The pics looked amazing, big cutties, very scenic, and also remote.

A bit of a drive from Canmore, but I fished a tributary to the elk river and it was also everything you're looking for, cutties and whitefish were very plentiful.