Endangered coho salmon return to Russian River

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing news item: Endangered coho salmon return to Russian River

Very good news. I was lucky enough to visit the Russian river a few years back and it is a beautiful area - I even caught a couple of American Shad on the fly which really made my day. It would be nice to think next time I return salmon may be plentiful enough to be targeted once again.

chuck s

Reaction score
That is good news indeed. Although there are those who will scoff and disparage anything remotely related to hatcheries, this is just one of many great examples of how to make and use hatcheries as a great tool.

FlyBum

Reaction score
Wow I couldn't be more pleased I never got to fish for them in the Russian river, but I remember the stories my dad and his friends used to tell when he was still alive of fishing in the Russian River. This brought a little tear of joy to my eyes.

tandrin

Reaction score
That is an exciting report.

That is good news indeed. Although there are those who will scoff and disparage anything remotely related to hatcheries, this is just one of many great examples of how to make and use hatcheries as a great tool.
Few know that without hatcheries, the Alaskan fishery would not be what it is today.