Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    Quote Originally Posted by troutchops View Post
    Wasn't the Orvis Zero Gravity rod the most advanced fly rod in 25 years, then a year later it was obsolete. It was replaced by the next most advanced rod in 25 years.....Sorry, I just don't buy into it.
    I do ! - I was there at the launch and handled these rods. These rods are fast actioned and very light yet strong - and they will not be super expensive either.

    Twice I have had Spey rods snap on me while casting (famous makes) once in Norway and once in Iceland. I had a long walk back to camp on both occassions and no fishing that day of course. With this new material - this will be a thing of the past. We can at last have performance and lightness - but not at the cost of durability. The very light-fast rods being sold today are very thin walled and very vulnerable!

    Colin.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    5,392

    Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    Hi Everyone,

    Obviously there is some promotion going on but that doesn't mean this isn't really something new and a step forward. The Orvis Helios is the one to beat for light weight construction but it does have thin wall construction. If Hardy can build a rod that is just as light but tougher than the Helios, I think it is a step in the right direction. I am working with a Hardy Marksman Rod and it is a lot of rod but not overly expensive. Hardy/Grey's is working hard to produce good casting, reliable rods and this new technology may really prove to be everything they claim. Now if it is priced a couple of hundred below a Helios I would buy one.

    The people who will really benefit from a lighter, tougher rod is the Inshore, Steelhead/Salmon, and Spey fishers. With long rods light weight and toughness is highly desirable as noted by cb.

    Frank

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    As someone who brings multiple rods and reels to the water with me, I would be more interested in how this rod fits into my arsenal. I don't believe in an all purpose rod and try to match tackle to the conditions. Having said that, I can always use another high quality rod.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    So Cal - 33.7645 N, 117.7939 W
    Posts
    725

    Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    Editor:

    While rod technology is a subject I find fascinating and will be following this latest example closely, I have to believe that the tackle distribution system being employed by Manufacturers such as Allen Or Colton etc will have more influence upon fly fishing than the latest "got'a have" wonder stick of this or any year.

    Imxer

  5. #15

    Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    Quote Originally Posted by imxer View Post
    Editor:

    While rod technology is a subject I find fascinating and will be following this latest example closely, I have to believe that the tackle distribution system being employed by Manufacturers such as Allen Or Colton etc will have more influence upon fly fishing than the latest "got'a have" wonder stick of this or any year.

    Imxer
    I'm going to disagree. You guys (With Frank being the exception) aren't looking at the BIG picture. Not necessarily in any real time frame, I'll try to explain what I mean. In a galaxy far, far away- or, back in the olden days we all fished with fiberglass (or bamboo). Then some yahoo comes along and uses space aged material called graphite to build some fishing rods.
    10 years later, you can't hardly find fiberglass rods for sale (new).
    So the graphite is a hit, and it gets lighter (and more brittle) Boron, titanium and all sort's of cr@p go into rod building. Winston and their boron laced rods came and are still here. A few years ago Orvis gets some graphite and thermally (or something cool like that) infuses new "epoxy resins" in the graphite to make it lighter and stronger which they did, you can't deny that.
    Again it's another start. Not from the beginning, but ..... The graphite and boron are still here, but the new resins will make lighter and stronger rods. Hardy's/Greys new rod line is coming out and in a month Rejeff/ Loomis have a new rod line out too. Anybody want to place a wager on it and it'll have something to do with the new thermoplastic supercalifragilistic resins impregnated in the good old school graphite?
    Just like computers, one breakthrough leads to another and I think this is the next big thing. Unlike computers, it's more than 18 months between breakthroughs.

    p.s. as for Allen Fly Fishing (Justin- don't get me wrong, I love your reels) all the stuff that is being built in China, is getting better and better. But it's still a copy of the original I still think Chinese build rods leave a lot to be desired compared to American built rods. Most Chinese rods are copy's of American premium rod tapers anyway.
    Last edited by mojo; 07-15-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    543

    Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    mojo.. no problem. I'm also developing a rod aswell that is not made in China. I have prolly 12 samples made so far with changing things as I go. As for it being brittle. I'm adding another component into the blank that prevents that. We'll see, I'm hoping I get to the 2.3oz and the added materail holds true. Project in the works. Working with some great people from my past work that are having fun with it. I have no desire to have a new rod every year to spike sales. I just want to have a good rod that will be around for a long time. Kind of a simple way of looking at it I think.

  7. #17

    Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    Quote Originally Posted by allenflyfishing View Post
    mojo.. no problem. I'm also developing a rod aswell that is not made in China. I have prolly 12 samples made so far with changing things as I go. As for it being brittle. I'm adding another component into the blank that prevents that. We'll see, I'm hoping I get to the 2.3oz and the added materail holds true. Project in the works. Working with some great people from my past work that are having fun with it. I have no desire to have a new rod every year to spike sales. I just want to have a good rod that will be around for a long time. Kind of a simple way of looking at it I think.
    I think that's why I like Winston rods so much. Not a lot of models over the years. I get dizzy thinking of Sage's models. But I do think the new resin impregnated stuff will take off.

    Edit- check it out. Nano supercalifraglilistic resins again. http://saltyshores.com/wordpress/2010/07/15/photography/g-loomis-nrx-fly-rods-icast-2010-las-vegas/
    The price is $OUCH.00
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    So Cal - 33.7645 N, 117.7939 W
    Posts
    725

    Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    As long as they continue building aircraft of carbon based material, there should be a new and improved "MATRIX" come along every few years.
    No questioning the fact that it is all very interesting. Looking forward to more.

  9. Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    Quote Originally Posted by cb View Post
    I do ! - I was there at the launch and handled these rods. These rods are fast actioned and very light yet strong - and they will not be super expensive either.
    They wont be super expensive? Will the be made in England or "imported" (china or korea)? If they are "imported" will a spey rod be under $400? A Meiser designed rod by TFO costs just over $300.

    I think you Hardy fanboys get a bit confused when the term Expensive and Hary are used in the same sentence. Hardy puts out a $80 import reel and charges $250 and only gives it a 1 year warranty and Hardy fanboys gush how inexpensive it is.

  10. #20

    Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
    They wont be super expensive? Will the be made in England or "imported" (china or korea)? If they are "imported" will a spey rod be under $400? A Meiser designed rod by TFO costs just over $300.

    I think you Hardy fanboys get a bit confused when the term Expensive and Hary are used in the same sentence. Hardy puts out a $80 import reel and charges $250 and only gives it a 1 year warranty and Hardy fanboys gush how inexpensive it is.
    I agree with you again, but it's not just Hardy. Asian built reels can be had for $15 when ordered in bulk quantities and Cabelas, BPS, etc. will sell them for well over $100. TFO, Echo, Ross WW, Cabelas and the others selling rods for a couple hundred dollars with less than $20 invested in one.
    But that's the global economy and it's here to stay.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Hardy and Greys gear for 2010...
    By Pleccy in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 07:43 AM
  2. C & F Design Flyboxes
    By Teamanglerx in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
  3. Nabours and friends announce benefit for project healing waters
    By mikeo in forum Fly Fishing Events, Fly Tying & Club Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 10:22 AM
  4. Hardy, "Silex Major" reel
    By henrywald in forum Fly Reels
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
  5. Siskiyou Design Reels.
    By Snuffy in forum Fly Reels
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 12:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •