dolly varden fly

caseywise

Reaction score
an alaskan question.
we are taking our annual trip to alaska this summer and the majority of our fishing will be for dolly varden on the lower kenai peninsula. What would you guys say your "go to" fly would be for dv?

casey

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Casey,

You know I don't do beads and am not crazy about glow bug eggs either. Coming from me I need to know how difficult do you want the pattern to be? I don't know your level of fly tying or your materials inventory so telling you what I haul them in on may not help. I have caught them on every fly I've ever cast into the Kenai River if that's any comfort. I prefer streamers and last years hero fly was the Santiam Spectrum, I got a couple 2 foot fish or close enough to look like 2 foot fish and plenty of others on that pattern.

Ard

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
I haven't fished the Keni area much, mostly because I dont lie people, but I have done pretty well for dolly's on a brown and white Thunder Creek.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Casey,

On my first float trip of the year I used the same fly for 5 days. It only caught 8 fish but that was a month ago and there was still a lot of ice. The fly was a feather wing; The Nine Three. This is why I sort of ask about your tying skills and materials. If I were to quit chasing kings and go char fishing for a day it'll knock the fins off em now.

So....................... when you see these posts from Allen & I how bout letting me know what you can make.

Ard

caseywise

Reaction score
thanks ard,
i used to tie all the time, and still do a little. having a daughter running around makes you prioritize what you do with your free time. i can tie ok, but with out practice my skills are not what they used to be. send me the pattern and i'll give it a shot.:D

casey

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Allen,

Casey, you don't need to make them so fancy. Just a tinsel body with white bucktail throat and two dark olive and two black saddles for the wings will work fine. They most look like salmon fry or something else good to eat because when swung grease line style through good holding water they will get the dolly's on the hook. At least they are what works for me.

I'm a big fan of feather wings for trout & char and use hair wings for salmon usually.

Ard

nerka

Reaction score
Hi Casey,
If you dont mind me chiming in here on this one...If you could give a time frame of what month(s) you will be here it could help. If it is in august I would use a ginger flesh fly with maybe a few strands of flash to taste.I think the purple ESLs like in your avatar are a good place to start. I would also throw in olive, chartruese and black colors with various egg colors.
I know Ard is more of a purist than me(I will cast vibrax and soak roe with my fly rod)
I think the hot glue eggs are killer for dollies. Another factor to include for big dollies would be a bugger pattern in purple and the other standard colors with flash and lead on the shank in a size 8-12.

Honestly, I dont fish dollies much different from 'bows both seem to bite on very similar patterns and it just depends on having either species see the fly and have the chance to bite it.