Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Comprehensive Angler Access Study Has Surprising Results

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Comprehensive Angler Access Study Has Surprising Results

Default Re: Comprehensive Angler Access Study Has Surprising Results

Hi Everyone,

It sounds like this addresses fly fishing access in general and ignores the problem of rich absentee land owners blocking usage of the water. In most cases the water does not originate on their property and they for sure don't own the water. Rivers in a state belong to the state and its residents. Just because someone buys a ranch that a river crosses they should not have the right to block usage of the water. I can understanding them blocking usage of the land as they do own that and should have control of their property.

The best policies that I have seen are the states that allow usage of the water if you stay below the high water mark. The state should provide access to the water for all residents to use. They could do that by leasing or buying small parcels of land and building boat ramps, parking and camping facilities.

Frank

Blog Entries

Default Re: Comprehensive Angler Access Study Has Surprising Results

Paul: Great article!

Frank: Well said, I couldn't agree more. Here in Wyoming rich ranchers own huge tracts of land and the current law says the land owner owns the riverbed. That means the public can only fish on public easements or national forest land. That results in the public access points being over fished and crowded, that is why I bought a drfit boat, to be able to get away from the crowds and access better fishing.

Larry

4. Default Re: Comprehensive Angler Access Study Has Surprising Results

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Paul: Great article!

Frank: Well said, I couldn't agree more. Here in Wyoming rich ranchers own huge tracts of land and the current law says the land owner owns the riverbed. That means the public can only fish on public easements or national forest land. That results in the public access points being over fished and crowded, that is why I bought a drfit boat, to be able to get away from the crowds and access better fishing.

Larry
    Lucky you dont live in Utah. The new Utah law says you have to take your boat out of the water when you reach someones property and put back in PAST the property. Can you imagine what that would do to commerce if the states around the missisippi had that law?