Mt Lion attack in Ca

webrx

Reaction score
We have them in Reno as well, though they pretty much shy away from people. I have seen signs of them, but not kittys have bothered me when I was fishing. Maybe they dont like my deet aftershave ;)

d

mikel

Reaction score
Final thought/prediction: As the Ca mtns dry out thru this summer, more big cats are going to be in the news. The So Cal mtn environment will drive starving cats down into the fringes of Orange County and there will be more than one attack on hikers/joggers at dusk on the trails down there.

Too many people, no water, an increasing cat population = somebody will get bit.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm gonna watch my back around sundown if I'm trekking.

-Mike

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Article in the paper today cougar not Demi Moore spotted by the Delaware River. Last known mountain lion in this area 1860!
John,

I made a positive ID on a Mountain Lion at close range on September 19, 1982 in Cogan Station PA. I lived in a very sparsely populated area north of Williamsport and although between 82 & 87' I saw two other animals that were in all likelihood Mountain Lions I stop short of stating that they were. The date and animal I site stood in front of my 1982 Chevy in the high beams for about 2 - 4 seconds before bounding into the bush. I was at full stop because it literally walked out of the brush on the right side of my road and I was traveling slow. I braked and hit the high beam and it walked until it paused for the couple seconds I mentioned. Broadside at perhaps 30 feet, maybe 80 - 90 pounds. I never reported that incident and only shared with best friend and family.

theboz

Reaction score
John,

I made a positive ID on a Mountain Lion at close range on September 19, 1982 in Cogan Station PA. I lived in a very sparsely populated area north of Williamsport and although between 82 & 87' I saw two other animals that were in all likelihood Mountain Lions I stop short of stating that they were. The date and animal I site stood in front of my 1982 Chevy in the high beams for about 2 - 4 seconds before bounding into the bush. I was at full stop because it literally walked out of the brush on the right side of my road and I was traveling slow. I braked and hit the high beam and it walked until it paused for the couple seconds I mentioned. Broadside at perhaps 30 feet, maybe 80 - 90 pounds. I never reported that incident and only shared with best friend and family.
Ard I believe it and I understand why anyone would share it with family and friends and no further. It's like your reporting Bigfoot. DEC has this notion that no one knows what they see and everyone is seeing a bobcat. When a full grown male got loose from the wildlife rehab center a mile from my house a neighbor called to report it and they told her she was mistaken. The next day it was captured by the wildlife rehab behind her house.
Personnally I have never seen one here but my fishing buddy's wife has seen one on multiple occasions kayaking up the upper Lehigh. DEC tells her she's mistaken on every report. The woman has a masters in biology and has studied animals on 3 continents.The guy who reported the most recent sighting is an experienced outdoorsman and no nonsense type of fellow.
The Pocono Record did a front page article on the many sightings and the DEC is oblivious.
Our area is overrun with coyotes with wolf DNA where less than 50 years ago there were none around. If they can repopulate an area no reason not to believe a few big cats can't find there way. Tons of food. The deer population as always is huge!
I guess it will take an attack or a road kill before they see the light !

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It could seem uncanny that I would remember the exact date (and time 9:40 PM) but I was preparing to leave for Maine the following morning. I used to go up every fall to fish Land Locks through the end of September. I have a thing for dates and occurrences; did real well in History exams :D

baseman1

Reaction score
Our natural resources department has the same view. According to them there are no cougars in the area. I have personally seen one along with a number of other people seeing them and they still said nope just a large lynx (with a 6 foot tail). A guy shot one that was attacking his cattle and they wrote it off again. We have the same "coyotes" here that are actually a mix of 2 different types of wolves (red and grey) and coyotes and again they are denying this fact. I have seen packs of 20-30 of them in fields in the winter which is not a common coyote trait.

theboz

Reaction score
Our natural resources department has the same view. According to them there are no cougars in the area. I have personally seen one along with a number of other people seeing them and they still said nope just a large lynx (with a 6 foot tail). A guy shot one that was attacking his cattle and they wrote it off again. We have the same "coyotes" here that are actually a mix of 2 different types of wolves (red and grey) and coyotes and again they are denying this fact. I have seen packs of 20-30 of them in fields in the winter which is not a common coyote trait.
AMAZING!Ignorance! Like I said you would think you were calling in Bigfoot.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
This catamount was killed on a highway here in CT just about a year ago.
It's hard to dispute their presence when you have proof like that

On the other hand, last month I thought I saw one where we were camped.
It was nearly dark and it just happened to cross my field of vision. This animal was the right size and shape and that's all I could really tell but "that's a mountain lion !" popped right into my head
The next morning I went and tracked it and found fresh tracks.
It was then obvious that I was mistaken. This was only a bear. A small skinny bear, but not the lion that I was worried about

littledavid123

Reaction score
I am often more suprised when people report these sightings to a government person. As best I can tell, rarely is your word taken seriously lest it be known that the public knows more than a goverment person does and that simply can't be allowed to happen. I have told friends when blessed with seeing something rare, but to tell the government....Let them find it themselves, it's what we pay them to do.

Dave