Cortland Line Company Bought by Group of Private Investors

Vans

Reaction score
I guess i am surprised Cortland is or was considered a premium brand. I have always have seen them as a cheapy low budget brand.

All the Cortland accessories i have had are average at best. I have one spool with some Cortland line on it. Crystal i think it is called. It is on my 7wt and is a sinking line i use for fishing the Metolius for bulls.Seems good enough but it was also $60-$70 which is pretty high for Cortland.

I guess their time was before i got into fly fishing.

cathyg

Reaction score
Part of Cortland's problem may have been to try to have something for everyone.

They sell everything from cheap ($15) reels to really nice Brook series rods and Diamondback rods.

The cheap stuff is found in Walmart and places like that so people get the impression that's all there is to the company.

theboz

Reaction score
Have only had negative experiences with Cortland lines . Don't know about the rest of their line but hopefully the transition wil see an improvement.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I grew up using Cortland lines and I'm always surprised that they don't get more love
Right now I own at least 14 Cortlands and the 444 "peach" floaters are a personal favorite.
They're all very usable lines except maybe for the Lazer line which IMO has too much memory

Last edited:

wt bash

Reaction score
The 444s are classic and always be as far as I'm concerned. So long as there are glass and cane rods being built and fished there will always be Cortland Peach. The owners can change with the times just along as that line stays the same! They can sell budget lines at Wally World or sell some technical taper at a rediculous price point just don't mess with the 444 DT!!!

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
The 444s are classic and always be as far as I'm concerned. So long as there are glass and cane rods being built and fished there will always be Cortland Peach. The owners can change with the times just along as that line stays the same! They can sell budget lines at Wally World or sell some technical taper at a rediculous price point just don't mess with the 444 DT!!!

Got excited when I saw the 444 peach is a great line, but then heart broken when you said to stay away from their DT. I don't want to sidetrack this thread but is it really horrible? I have always liked RIO then when I asked my shop about Scientific Angler line for my 2wt he suggested the Cortland 444 DT in peach.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
woody.... I don't think that you understood what wt bash meant
The DT peach is a peach and the 444 line that most people use rather than the WF
I have to disagree with one statement he made though
... I happen to think that the "cheap" 333 lines are better with fiberglass rods :D

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Ahhh, I read it again and see now. The technical tapers don't mess with the DT, he wasn't saying not to mess with the DT haha. Sorry about that, I misread. So go for the DT and be super excited when I do?

I have a 4wt 333 that was my first fly line, I still use it for bass in nasty water.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Cortland was an inovative and great fly line company until SA, behind the technological might of 3M, eclipsed them in the 80's. They also lost key personel to other companies including RIO and mortality. Their braided dacron "Micron" backing is still the industry standard and I prefere it to gelspun in most applications. I just recieved a new "Boss" extended head 5-weight and plan on testing it against RIO Gold and SA Expert Distance Taper...later for a report on that. With new resources and, importantly, leadership, Cortland may well recreate itself as a central player among fly fishing brands. Good luck, Cortland

mojo

Reaction score
I don't get the fan base that the Peach has. I had some in the 90's, didn't last a season until it started cracking. It was replaced for free which was cool. I used it until I got some Wulff TT. I thought that was a much better line then the Cortland. Late 90's I got my LT and tried a SA line on. Since then it's been SA and Rio for floating lines, and the only Cortland line I have is the intermediate sink Clear Camo. ( which might be replaced by AirFlo Glass). I did buy some Sylk for my cane and 'glass and I thought that was the biggest waste of money ever. But I understand it has gotten better.
Now, 90% of my floating lines for graphite, 'glass and bamboo is Sharkskin. From 3wt up to 8. It works most excellent for my rods and style.
I hope Cortland can get back in the game. It's a great company. If they come up with a good line, I'd love to give it a go.

wilky

Reaction score
Well Cortland was a good brand in the past but it is now lower quality nd yet they keep the price tag high. I rarely get any good reviews on Cortland products but i do have to deal with complaints about the quality of there products. there reels are bad ( my opinion) they are really cheap materials an cast bang the reel seat slightly = broken reel
lines are outdated compared to Rio and SA at around the same price ortland nets are Cheap and tend to split ( also smell bad )
I do own a Cortland line it has lasted but i wouldnt buy another one.
I Really hope they can pull there finger out and step up there game and get back to making quality and lines and equipment people will be proud and happy to own.
Vincent