Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardy and Greys Up For Sale

Default Hardy and Greys Up For Sale

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Hardy and Greys Up For Sale

The iconic British brand is looking for a new owner.......

Default Re: Hardy and Greys Up For Sale

Wish I had the money Paul.

A great company with superb products and it shows a sign of the times we are in.I hope someone does take it on and shakes it up and back to what it could be again.

come on the lottery tonight.

3. Likes Editor liked this post
    Blog Entries

Paul: Interesting turn of events, I sure hope it goes to someone that can help Hardy regain it's status in the industry.

Larry
    Larry

we should do a syndicate - i'm in for $10

6. Likes horseman_37601, Editor, Guest1 liked this post

Actually, with Hardy's award winning line of very modern SINTRIX rods, "performance" reels like Ultralite DD and Fortuna X and re-issued classics like Perfect now machined and anodized, Hardy is on a roll. I can't think of a fly fishing company that has invigorated its reputation here in America as quickly and effectively as has Hardy. Someone with the proper credentials, sense of tradition and requisite deep pockets could accelerate Hardy to an elite position in the fly fishing industry.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

I hope your right SAS, I hope your right. Another article on this (MidCurrent) has a statement by the American President which expanded on the topic. That aside apparently they sold 80,000 rods last year and took a 447,000 pound cash hit (roughly 3/4 million USD).

Sell that many rods and still in the red? They must have a very interesting Business Plan .......
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

9. Likes Guest1 liked this post

Fred, I am going with Jim Murphy's (of Hardy-Grays North America) word on the subject bolstered by my very positive experience with the new products. I see Hardy tackle at fly shops that never sold it before (or at least not since a Lightweight series reel was must-have decades ago) and am fishing two Zenith and one Proaxis rod myself. I imagine some "Romney-esque" corporate raider could come in, buy it under pretense of preserving UK jobs and sell it to the Chinese but I hope the existing board will vet the proposed buyer(s) fly fishing historical credentials with an eye toward preserving history not merely capitol.

11. Likes bradyb, Editor liked this post

Lets just hope it's not a stockbroker or millionaire yuppie trying to make more money for themselves.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

sbreech Guest

Aren't they already making a lot of their products in eastern Asia anyway? I'd like to see them get back to their roots of having their products made in England. Is it House of Hardy or House of Mao? It really does amaze me when some of these companies are still selling their products at high-end prices while still having manufacturing done in China, Taiwan, etc etc.... Not that the products are necessarily bad, just that they are trying to push for such a high profit margin on a product that so many are banking on British tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
    Aren't they already making a lot of their products in eastern Asia anyway? I'd like to see them get back to their roots of having their products made in England. Is it House of Hardy or House of Mao? It really does amaze me when some of these companies are still selling their products at high-end prices while still having manufacturing done in China, Taiwan, etc etc.... Not that the products are necessarily bad, just that they are trying to push for such a high profit margin on a product that so many are banking on British tradition.
    Hardy's reels, minus a few are manufactured in Korea, not China. The reels I've seen have tighter tolerances than the UK built ones. I think the St. George and the Perfects are still made in England. Burk will know and maybe tell the complete story.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast