Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: politicians, lobbyists and money

Default politicians, lobbyists and money

PHG Video Detail Player

A make-or-break moment for the most important fish in the sea - The Washington Post
    One of the smallest fish in the Chesapeake Bay is also one of the most critical. Atlantic menhaden have been called “the most important fish in the sea” because of the vital ecological and economic roles they play in the bay and along the Atlantic Coast.
    Atlantic Menhaden Campaign - Pew Environment Group
    The population of Atlantic menhaden surviving to one year has plummeted to less than 10 percent of historic levels and are now at a record low point. Despite this, hundreds of millions of menhaden are still hauled in and ground up, removed from their ecosystem each year, mostly to be used in fertilizer, pet food, feed for agricultural animals and farm-raised fish, and as dietary supplements for people
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Default Re: politicians, lobbyists and money

Unfortunately, for many in the makeup of our current population Money Trumps All.
    Pebble Mine in AK: Ecosystem and a way of life on one side of the scale, gold, copper and molybdenum on the other side of the scale. What would be the right thing to -- oh, wait, we forgot, Money Trumps All.

Send lawyers, guns, and money huh! Just kidding but I remember the damage the seine boats would do in the Raritan Bay. Ironically they were mostly from the southern fleet with maybe three local boats. Within a week the bunker were gone and with them alot of stripers. Not only do they remove a vital part of the ecosystem they under cut local and historical fisheries.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Well let's see, the entire NE, NOAAH, EPA, and most of Washington is one party rule. So what's the hold up? Unless........

By the way, there are not many things you can see while fishing more impressive than a school of Menhaden balled up being attacked by a bunch of big Bluefish. Half a fish here, half a fish there. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Well let's see, the entire NE, NOAAH, EPA, and most of Washington is one party rule. So what's the hold up? Unless........
    That's not the hold up
    But there’s a problem. In Virginia, fisheries decisions are made by the state’s Marine Resources Commission — except when they relate to one species. Yes, you guessed it: menhaden, which is instead managed by the 140 members of the General Assembly. This odd arrangement puts politicians, lobbyists and money, rather than scientists, in charge of menhaden. This, it goes without saying, does not bode well for making the tough choices needed now.

To overcome this, it is vital that Gov. Robert F. McDonnell (R)take a leadership role in support of legislation that implements meaningful menhaden conservation.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

So exactly how does one governor in one state control the Atlantic Ocean? Especially from Virginia. Where is the legislation from oh... say Harry Reid? Where legislation like that would really come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    So exactly how does one governor in one state control the Atlantic Ocean? Especially from Virginia.
    With Omega Protein's wallet.

Oh the hypocrisy!

It's no different than crying about a mine, but gladly using the products that the mine production is used for. Gold, copper and molybdenum are great examples. All these materials are used in the production or processing of Computers, cell phones, fly rods and fly line.

How many of you can say they use no more resources than necessary for your survival? Is a cell phone really necessary? Or is it a modern convenience? I can go on and on with examples of unnecessary use of resources that I am sure all of you are guilty of.

If you really want to do something about these things then start by consuming less of everything. Do you really need 12 flyrods?

Quote Originally Posted by klunker View Post
    Do you really need 12 flyrods?
    No, I need more like 21.

10. Likes williamhj liked this post

Is it really hypocritical to question the methods and ethics in which these products are brought to us?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast