The Great Lakes 'running out of water?' Interesting read.

itchmesir

Reaction score
The coal trade on the Great Lakes declined 8.2% in 2012 from the previous year, and down a quarter off the 5-year-averge --
So what exactly is wrong with this? And how much of this is a Great Lakes issue.. and not just an impact from cleaner energy?

wt bash

Reaction score
Its makes getting into and out of port more difficult causing the tankers/coal barges, etc to carry lighter loads, affecting production for local industry. Overall shipping of western and mid western goods will slow as it gets harder for oceanic tankers to maneuver through the Lakes. Then there is the potential for local drinking water supplies to become burdened and there are already issues with water quality and invasives. The Great Lakes story reminds me of the Rocky movies,they've been knocked to hell countless times but somehow rebound.

klunker

Reaction score
Funny, now we are worried about low levels. I remember back in the mid 80's we were worried about record high levels.

The fact is the Great Lakes vary constantly in lake levels. This has been happening for hundred of years. Look at this link. http://www.in.gov/dnr/water/files/07WaterLevelGraph1918-2002HistoricLakeMichigan.pdf

It shows Lake Michigan levels from 1918 to present. The lake has been at these "record" lows 3 times before, 1964, 1934 and 1926. Look at how it hit close to a record high in 1929-1930. Big change in a couple of years time. Also note that the variation is about 6 ft.

The big factor that affects lake levels are rain/snow amounts. There is nothing that man can do to change that. And don't give me the ridiculous line about global warming, oops, I mean global climate change, or what ever it's called today. Again look at the graph and how it changes from a period of 2-3 years.

If we think that we can increase the levels by reducing water usage we will be on a fool's errand. What we do when the levels hit highs? Will we have to drink more water and have mandatory lawn watering?

wt bash

Reaction score
Who gave anyone a line about climate change or having to drink more or less water? Why do some on this board feel it necessary to attack any environmental concern? Why is it so hard to believe global weather and yes climate changes moves in cycles just the same as water levels in the Great Lakes? The issue of man's impact on either isn't worth debating because no matter what it gets politicized. Fact is weather patterns change, and along with that comes climate change, to deny that our climate is capable of change is ignorant in my opinion.

surface film

Reaction score
Here in the Port of St. Joseph, LaFarge is likely going to totally close their plant down due to the fact they can't get their ships into port full any longer.

At least here, it's not so much lake levels, Lake Michigan is less than 50' off my back deck and it is on average the same as it has been for 10 years and I know until a couple years ago there wasn't any issues getting ships in the port full, incredibly high flow rates LAST Winter in the St. Joseph River brought down HUGE amounts of sediment though and has really made navigating the port difficult.

Here is a photo of what the Joe looked like all last Winter.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YlFeP-t1E...s1600/617148_428412323873638_2026498547_o.jpg

Obviously it was high to say the least...

itchmesir

Reaction score
Who gave anyone a line about climate change or having to drink more or less water? Why do some on this board feel it necessary to attack any environmental concern? Why is it so hard to believe global weather and yes climate changes moves in cycles just the same as water levels in the Great Lakes? The issue of man's impact on either isn't worth debating because no matter what it gets politicized. Fact is weather patterns change, and along with that comes climate change, to deny that our climate is capable of change is ignorant in my opinion.
Obviously.. Otherwise most of the planet would still be covered in ice

dean_mt

Reaction score
Here in the Port of St. Joseph, LaFarge is likely going to totally close their plant down due to the fact they can't get their ships into port full any longer.

At least here, it's not so much lake levels, Lake Michigan is less than 50' off my back deck and it is on average the same as it has been for 10 years and I know until a couple years ago there wasn't any issues getting ships in the port full, incredibly high flow rates LAST Winter in the St. Joseph River brought down HUGE amounts of sediment though and has really made navigating the port difficult.

Here is a photo of what the Joe looked like all last Winter.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YlFeP-t1E...s1600/617148_428412323873638_2026498547_o.jpg

Obviously it was high to say the least...
I grew up in St. Joe! Used to fish for smallies next to the LaFarge plant, my buddies dad ran it. My folks are still in the area and kind of freaked out about the lack of winter.

surface film

Reaction score
I grew up in St. Joe! Used to fish for smallies next to the LaFarge plant, my buddies dad ran it. My folks are still in the area and kind of freaked out about the lack of winter.
I know most those guys there, my cousin works there. Small World, eh!

Was in the paper they were gonna close the plant, been meaning to ask my cousin about it to see if it was true.

I used to go by KWB on here, but I can't access the site with my username/password anymore, I know I wasn't banned as my old profile doesn't show I was "plus I didn't do anything wrong to my knowledge", but for some reason, keeps saying I have the wrong password and I know I don't... Odd

fyshstykr

Reaction score
KWB send Ard or Larry a pm telling them what's happened, I'm sure they can get you squared away if you would rather go by 'KWB' than 'Surface Film'.:)

surface film

Reaction score
KWB send Ard or Larry a pm telling them what's happened, I'm sure they can get you squared away if you would rather go by 'KWB' than 'Surface Film'.:)
Will do!

Definitely would rather have my original one back, wouldn't want Diver Dan being nice to me ya know!

Just kidding Dan!!! :)

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

They hollered the same thing a few years back. Then the next thing you knew it was high. It seems in todays world we are not allowed to have anything variable without panic or scorn.
Slow news days, gotta rile someone up to keep interest high ya know!!!

wt bash

Reaction score
It seems in todays world we are not allowed to have anything variable without panic or scorn.
Good point but if I worked the docks, tugs barges or tankers or in a plant that needed coal for fuel, or the plant relied on shipping goods via the Lakes I might be a bit panicky thinking about when the next round of layoffs come.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
Will do!

Definitely would rather have my original one back, wouldn't want Diver Dan being nice to me ya know!

Just kidding Dan!!! :)

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Slow news days, gotta rile someone up to keep interest high ya know!!!
Problem solved...

Last night, when trying to log into something else, exact same thing happened and both forums I had same password on.

What happened is, one of the keys on my home computer was not working, so when I typed my password, it was missing that letter each time...

Was able to log in just fine here at work today!

:D