Hardy Rods Still Ahead Of The Rest In Yellowstone Angler 2013 5 Weight Mini-Shootout.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Source: Hardy News

Hardy rods have taken the top two spots in the eagerly awaited Yellowstone angler 5 weight shoot out. For a third year running The Hardy Zenith came first with the Hardy Artisan coming a close second.

The Yellowstone Angler shoot outs are probably the most detailed and in depth rod reviews and head to head comparisons done anywhere in the world. Rods are marked in various categories including swing weight, performance at 25, 45 and 70 feet and also warranties.

Once again the Hardy Zenith came out on top!

“The Hardy Zenith 9 foot #5 steamrollered the competition once again. You would think that after we declared them the winner back in our last 5-weight shootout that was two years ago, other manufacturers would take a closer look at these Hardy rods and tell their R&D guys to come up with a rod that is at least as good as the Hardy or better. Well, they didn’t get the job done. The Zenith is just a killer tool in the hands of a good angler. A fly rod on steroids, but one that is also capable of delicate presentations. We haven’t had a single customer that wasn’t delighted with this rod”.

In close second place was the Hardy Artisan

“Hardy’s new Artisan was impressive!

Hardy has a new rod called the Artisan that is built in England, and this is one impressive rod. It was designed to be better at short range than the Zenith, and it is. It is delightfully light and has a nice soft tip that enables delicate but extremely accurate presentations at 20-35 feet. It’s definitely a more forgiving rod than the Zenith at close range The big surprise for us though, was how well this Artisan performed at mid to long range. At 45 feet it was almost as good as the Zenith, and at 70 feet it was extremely good too. This is a beautiful looking rod, with a golden color, and superb craftsmanship. This Hardy has a nice amboyna wood burl seat too, that locks up with ease and precision”.

For more details go to Montana Fly Fishing in Montana's Paradise Valley, fly fishing tackle, bookings with Outfitters and Guides and guides - Yellowstone Angler or www.hardyfishing.com

stuie675

Reaction score
When will my new love for Flying Pig fly rods get love hahahaha

Hardy makes good stuff, I just wish I could justify spending 1200 bucks on the artisan. That thing is a straight up sex stick.

troutnut4

Reaction score
When will my new love for Flying Pig fly rods get love hahahaha

Hardy makes good stuff, I just wish I could justify spending 1200 bucks on the artisan. That thing is a straight up sex stick.
It's too bad they couldn't get that price down near the price of a Sage "Circa". A Circa runs close to $900.00 with the taxes slapped on it on this coast (Nova Scotia).:(:(

plecain

Reaction score
I do not need any more fly rods.

That should convince me.

troutnut4

Reaction score

That should convince me.
Let know if that works, I might try it!:rolleyes:

stuie675

Reaction score
It's too bad they couldn't get that price down near the price of a Sage "Circa". A Circa runs close to $900.00 with the taxes slapped on it on this coast (Nova Scotia).:(:(
Yeah exactly, it is nice that it is actually made in England and all but 1300 for a rod that thing better clean my house and car, and maybe make me dinner every now and then.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Note that we have a "2013 5-Weight Shootout - Preview" thread with 45 responses and 1,175 views going in the rod section of the tackle forum below. Lots of varied perspectives expressed therein.

troutnut4

Reaction score
Has anyone here cast the Circa?
I am interested to hear that as well. I would rather put my cash into a rod that cast similar to the Hardy but at a better price. I don't necessarily need the number 1 on the chart, second or third place might suit my cast as well and certainly my pocket book.:thumbsupu

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Even though #'s 2, 3 & 4 all cost MORE than the Zenith? Due to the cost benefits of Korean manufacturing, Zenith comes in at a very reasonable price point while still being made with the most advanced 3M technology and designed by a great British rod designer with some input and field-testing from a few expert Americans. However, lets hope that the full blown Shootout will feature some cool surprises when it is released.

D

deathwish

Fredericton out fitters just brought in a whole bunch of the nEw Dardy Zenith rods light as a feather and just beautiful. 699.99
Are they any good? check this out-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6mPS7A-_WU