Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Red face "Deet" loosing its puch with bitie-bugs?

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: "Deet" loosing its puch with bitie-bugs?

Oh that's not good. This is the buggiest place I ever lived. Deet is almost as important as ...... food here. If DEET stops working, I'm moving.

3. Likes dhayden liked this post

Deet still works great here in Quebec but when talking about bug repellent with fishermen from the U.S., many told me that it does not work very well. I had trouble believing them. Now, I believe what I heard. I guess that eventually bug repellent with Deet will not be as effective here in Quebec.

Its just like the flu vaccination, now there are 2 newer viruses that the shot does nothing against. Just like out skeeters oddly enough they don't bother me too much but it has a down side cause they don't bother me when I DON'T wear deodorant!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Yup, skeeters are attracted to deodorant.
    I often notice people complaining about them when I haven't seen a single one

Unfortunately they're also attracted by the smell of your breath and someone who's consumed a good bit of alcohol draws them in like caddis to a Coleman lantern
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I just want to see the testing equipment that attached electrodes to a mosquito's antenna.
    Dave

8. Likes Editor liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

Unfortunately they're also attracted by the smell of your breath and someone who's consumed a good bit of alcohol draws them in like caddis to a Coleman lantern
    Actually, if memory serves, its the expelled CO2.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I figured it was due to the heat of our breath and our heads but maybe that's just dog pecker gnats. Is it the sweet smells from deodorant and the hint of sugar in beer or booze?

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
    I just want to see the testing equipment that attached electrodes to a mosquito's antenna.
    Its in the same lab they use to test the smell of moth balls
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

11. Likes Editor liked this post

Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-25-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

You know those infrared images of the human body showing the vapor trails of warmth, breath and perspiration wafting from our bodies? Mosquitoes follow that trail back to its source to suck our blood. The DEET compound intertwines molecularly with that trail which confuses the bugs sensing mechanism. DEET is not a repellent but a confuser, should the female mosquito find an exposed skin surface even if it has DEET slathered on it she is perfectly happy to not loose her appetite. It is hard to cover every exposed bit of skin and it is unclear that DEET applied to clothing, hats, etc. is effective at all. The Army has spent plenty of our money to devise the most effective bug dope and has determined that DEET is the ONLY thing that works effectively (psychological solutions not-with-standing). My experience is that when it is warm and I am traipsing through willowy water meadows to get to a secret section of a spring creek, I am going to get attacked and the more I sweat, the worse it will be.

14. Likes troutcomegetit liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast