Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX

runningfish

Reaction score
Finally, fly rods with rubber synthetic handle. I like the modern look of it. Gonna try to get one. Anyone interested in Helios 905-4 Mid? :)

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL - yes it's definitely a love it or hate it look and they have cleverly decided to also offer the same rod with a normal cork handle too. ;)

I'd like to try one out in saltwater, particularly in the surf/flats where hands are constantly getting wet.

Jackster

Reaction score
Usually the saying 'form follows function' works for me. Carbon fiber reel seats were fine with me because they weren't just cosmetic, they shaved weight. Another adage from the old street rod days, 'if it don't go, chrome it' also has merit. That grip though... I dunno man... does it come in cork color?
Is that grip different just to be different or does it have benefits that cork doesn't?

alexs

Reaction score
I would like to see weight "shaven" in the top half of the rod, not at the handle.
Anyhow, it's but ugly.... I won't spend my $$$ it.
Tight lines,
Alex

dean_mt

Reaction score
Usually the saying 'form follows function' works for me. Carbon fiber reel seats were fine with me because they weren't just cosmetic, they shaved weight. Another adage from the old street rod days, 'if it don't go, chrome it' also has merit. That grip though... I dunno man... does it come in cork color?
Is that grip different just to be different or does it have benefits that cork doesn't?
Considering how difficult it is to get really good cork and how freaking expensive the good stuff is - $3+ per 1/2" ring for true Flor grade - I'd guess one of advantages is cost savings.

I don't mind the looks actually. I don't really want a fire engine red grip, but I could see it looking good in black or charcoal on a custom rod.

Jackster

Reaction score
Of all my stuff, the only color that grip matches are my eyes.