Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pure Fishing Acquires Hardy and Greys

Default Re: Pure Fishing Acquires Hardy and Greys

With every one of the buyouts like this I can't help but feel some of the 'fire in the belly' that built and kept companies like this rolling for so long will be lost to bean counters and number crunchers who will try to wring every cent they can out of the name in the shortest amount of time possible.
    I often wish the big dogs would leave the smaller companies alone but after a few generations the brains and brawn that brought these small companies to life are long gone and new age 'business' people who can't see further than the next quarter take over and spit out a shell.
    I'm old enough and have been in the manufacturing end of things long enough in many different types of businesses to have seen the joy and pride a well made, ingenious product brings to the producer of that product. Now the joy seems to be in counting shekels.
    Let's just hope someone at Pure Fishing saw more in Hardy than what I so pessimistically described above.

Blog Entries

Try to think positive Jack, you're bringing me down with the possibilities. If the folks at Pure read forums they would know that there are some, actually quite a few of us who don't want a cheap reel. Some, perhaps many don't want to get their fly fishing equipment at big box stores. Maybe, just maybe this will just be a change of ownership and the product lines will be unchanged.

I am not wealthy in terms of cash but I have owned and still own a lot of fairly expensive fly tackle. Some things I saved for and other things I bought through 'Lay Away Plans' with shops in years gone by. Even though companies like Hardy made tens of thousands of CFO and Lightweight Series reels they were never cookie cutter common on the rivers and streams I fished. While I will not disparage low cost tackle or those who seek it (I have a bunch of that too) I like my eccentric Hardy tackle and will hold out hope that some marketing guru doesn't take the shine off the apple.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes jaybo41, troutnut4, fredaevans liked this post

Pure Fishing is an American company, so what this likely means is Hardy/Greys is going to grow their business here. Hardy has a lot of opportunity for sales growth in North America without reducing their price, and I'm sure that's what Pure Fishing is interested in. I don't see them making any big changes to the product lineup or manufacturing in the near future.
    Read my fishing blog RodandRivet.com

5. Likes Editor, jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Now That's What I'm Talking About!

Exactly what I've been wanting to hear, no drought, no flooding, just a nice mix of weather. Maybe I can get a sales rep position here, my new Marksman handles salmon beautifully ................

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
    Pure Fishing is an American company, so what this likely means is Hardy/Greys is going to grow their business here. Hardy has a lot of opportunity for sales growth in North America without reducing their price, and I'm sure that's what Pure Fishing is interested in. I don't see them making any big changes to the product lineup or manufacturing in the near future.
    Hardy (North America) set up shop in Lancaster PA back in 2008. I am curious why they weren't able to grow sales more rapidly, was it because of the "Made In the USA" only attitude, pricing, or brand loyalty ?
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

I like your optimism and am hopeful you are spot on.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Quote Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
    Hardy (North America) set up shop in Lancaster PA back in 2008. I am curious why they weren't able to grow sales more rapidly, was it because of the "Made In the USA" only attitude, pricing, or brand loyalty ?
    I couldn't speculate without knowing what their operation stateside does. As a retailer, I can tell you that working with companies based outside of the US can be difficult even if they have US offices. It can be difficult to get product, and if they're inefficient the cost of shipping is stupid expensive (sometimes more than the cost of the product).
    Read my fishing blog RodandRivet.com

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

I couldn't speculate without knowing what their operation stateside does. As a retailer, I can tell you that working with companies based outside of the US can be difficult even if they have US offices. It can be difficult to get product, and if they're inefficient the cost of shipping is stupid expensive (sometimes more than the cost of the product).

Soooo hear you. The Folks on the 'Mother Board' can buy anything on line (credit card numbers work anywhere). Fellows have it sent to me and I'll forward on (no one on e-bay, and most regular retailers want to go through the hassle of shipping International). The price to mail a few ounces of 'box' to the UK is breathtaking.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Does anyone know what will happen to Howard Croston and Jim Murphy? If they continue to set the agenda for the company, it will do fine, especially if the new parent gives them more R&D money, wider distribution channel access, and more decision making authority than they had under the old ownership. If those guys are leaving, though, the place will be adrift.

12. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123