Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theft at Twin Bridges Fly Fishing Shop

Default Re: Theft at Twin Bridges Fly Fishing Shop

Having just returned from Montana, including a brief stop in Twin, I find this report incredible. My partner and I camp, as we have for decades, on public land with a full set up: tents, two burner, high BTU stove, sun shade, coolers full of thick steaks and beverages...no one ever messes with our stuff even though it is out there in plain sight for plenty of other anglers and recreationists to see. I like to think of that country as "The Last Best Place" where folks are friendly, honest (except about fish size and numbers) and helpful to one another. Strangers wave hello from their trucks as they pass your camp.

I would like to see all higher end rods and reels serial numbered and registered by the maker as to the shop or individual purchaser. I know of a guy who left his valuable, hand made reel on a picnic table and after months of kicking himself for his own carelessness, found it listed on the auction site. They, the finder nor the purchaser had any interest in assisting the actual owner. Not theft of course but hardly the generosity of spirit one hopes to encounter among one's fellow fly fishers. And that too was in Montana.

2. Likes jaybo41, mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post

As somebody who is from a large urban area where this kind of criminal activity sadly is all-to routine, this is even more stunning considering that Twin Bridges is a place, maybe one of the "last few places" in this country, where one would think they can escape for awhile to avoid such things.
    Now on a kinda a down personal note here, the last time I was in Twin Bridges which was 2 year ago, right before I visited this particular Fly Shop which was burglarized I was shopping in the grocery store across the street and down the block where the guy at the cash register ripped me off on change for a twenty.

Sounds like Twin Bridges is becoming one of those lawless frontier towns. Where are Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday when you need them?
    Last edited by moucheur2003; 07-26-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Is there a way for the shop owner to ID the missing merch? If so, p'raps he could make an area on his web site where people could paste sales ads of like gear for follow up.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs down Re: Theft at Twin Bridges Fly Fishing Shop

Hell of it is, this stuff will be sold 'on line' and the seller will probably buy 'drugs' of some kind.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    Is there a way for the shop owner to ID the missing merch? If so, p'raps he could make an area on his web site where people could paste sales ads of like gear for follow up.

Aren't Winstons serial numbered?

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Aren't Winstons serial numbered?
    Yes. So are Sage, St. Croix, and some others.

Some of them (Sage ONE, for example) are very difficult to see, but they're on there.
    Last edited by plecain; 07-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Odds are it won't be anyone who was raised in the area, the automobile is the greatest invention ever given to a thief. Sad, but the tourism small towns promote also brings in the undesirables.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

I feel real bad for the guy. That's a big loss but I'm sure the thief will be caught sooner or later while leaving a bad trail of online sales. I'm sure his business insurance will cover this.

Now on to the tough love part:

A similar instance happened earlier this year (as per the article). Its 2013 now and you can't just blow off when the first sign arrives. He should have taken all necessary steps to burgler proof his shop after the first time.
    ~Todd
    "...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
    Mother Approved...

Here is another link that states what was stolen, but no serial numbers.
    Twin Bridges fly-fishing shop hit for $20,000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast