krikau27

Reaction score
Re: oops, please delete

Known for eating testicles?? :what:

Kim

krikau27

Reaction score

Without reading it i think it's a load of ****. No fish actively goes programed to eat your balls. If you stick them in its mouth it's another story. Or wawe them in front of it as bait. It's as usual journalists who like to put fear in people. The same thing is with big frightening headlines on newspapers so people buy the paper to read. BS radar is going crazy.

Kim

dhaynes

Reaction score

Without reading it i think it's a load of ****. No fish actively goes programed to eat your balls. If you stick them in its mouth it's another story. Or wawe them in front of it as bait. It's as usual journalists who like to put fear in people. The same thing is with big frightening headlines on newspapers so people buy the paper to read. BS radar is going crazy.

Kim
I thought it bullshit too. At first glance I thought the photo was photoshopped...looked too un-natural...sort of like the dogs with human teeth selling puppy chow on commercials.. But I thought I would explore it a little. Here's what i learned....

Yes, the Pacu is real and its teeth do look like that. Native of South American and relative of the Pirhana. It is a pretty prolific invasive and has been found in a bunch of U.S. states and, it seems in Sweden, as well.

Yes, Carl Henrik of the Museum of Natural History in Denmark is real.. He writes on invasive fish species in Denmark -- good credentials so far.

Yes, there are observations of Pacu biting off fingers and toes (reported on Wikipedia) but there are no observations of a Pacu ever eating human testicles..... none that I can find.

Carl Henrik does not say Pacus have eaten Swedish testicles, nor does he say it is likely. He only says it is possible. Of the dozens and dozens of internet articles on Pacu threats to testicles, all are traced back to this off-hand statement by Mr. Henrik. It would seem Mr. Henrik uttered the statement as a way of titilating whomever was listening... By the time it got repeated several hundred times it has risen to scientific fact and dire warnings.. This is a pretty common internet pattern for stories... An offhand comment is converted to bullshit after enough iterations.....

Two other non-scientiific observations. Ever took a dip in the Baltic or North Sea? I'm willing to bet there are far fewer skinny-dippers there than Mr. Henrik would like us to believe! Second, I'm pretty sure that by the time Mr. Skinny Dipper hit the water, his dangly-down parts would be drawn so far up into his chest that breathing would be tough! Not much to entice a ravenous Pacu intent on feeding on testicles!

The wikipedia articles does not say whether a Pacu will rise to a fly or not, but I bet snagging one on a wooly bugger would add an element of excitement to a fishing trip...

theboz

Reaction score
50 lb + Pacu have been caught in Florida! Some on the fly! I believe the testicle chomping thing originated where the Pacu are native in South America where many of the fisherman and swimmers are naked and more exposed ! The legend of the ball chomping got really big when Jeremy Wade spoke of it on his show!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We had a guy from Columbia posting back in the spring and he was putting up pictures of them on his threads. I just tried a search to see if I could find them, no luck. He was posting to General Discussion during may I think.

I have no way to find him or his threads quickly but he had some dandies and they were nasty looking fish, like giant piranha.