Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Last fly shop in Salem, Oregon to close.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Last fly shop in Salem, Oregon to close.

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Last fly shop in Salem, Oregon to close.

Sad to see these independent fly shops closing but I guess with the internet and the big box stores it is hard to compete.

Larry
    Larry

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Last fly shop in Salem, Oregon to close.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Sad to see these independent fly shops closing but I guess with the internet and the big box stores it is hard to compete.

Larry
    Yes and No. Know a couple (flyfishusa being an excellent example) where they have a huge internet site. Mark's site is very different from 99% of the rest ... he's proactive with his e-mail list. Two/three times per month you will get a 'newsletter' describing some product (rod/line/fly/what-ever) out lining the bennie's of the product, how to/where to use same etc. That's followed up by the order bits.

The other '99%' just have a web site that you have to think about/remember if you want to order 'something.' Another example of 'proactive' is the Allen folks here. Frequent 'face time' with the exact folks, to take a line from the old "Cheers" tv show: "Where everyone knows your name."

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

4. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post

Sad to see that. I'd rather walk into an independent fly shop any day.

Fred,

It's a shame, but times have changed!

Orvis, Cabelas, Bass Pro all have huge sales and free shipping!

I got a bunch of fly fishing stuff from Cabelas, Christmas present for myself ....... it should arrive tomorrow.

Flashback: A couple years ago, I wanted to buy a 1 wt fly rod. I went to my local fly shop (Evening Rise, in Lancaster pa, now out of business) and they were a authorized Orvis dealer and didn't even know that Orvis made a 1 wt? LOL

I purchased the $600 rod online direct from Orvis, and even got a free reel with the deal!

The "local shops" can only sell you what they have in stock, and say "that's the only thing you can catch trout on" ....... really? people don't go to the little shops anymore?

I used to be a custom rod builder; fly & noodle rods, but quit after number 50 was commissioned. At Dick's, you can buy a graphite rod (VG quality), Graphite Large Arbor Reel with tapered flyline for $99 US, complete. Rod blank and components alone cost more than that!
    Ebay has made fly fishing more democratic than any other force on earth! To give you an example, curved surgeon's Iris scissors in 1970 cost $17.00...today these same scissors are 2 for $4.00 with free shipping...and the quality is excellent!

Cheers, DocWet [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

ps; The Internet has made the old Rod and Gun shops obsolete. Fish USA, based here in Erie has had to move to larger facilities because of their immensely increased sales volume...ALL Internet based!
    Take a hint from Amazon.
    Last edited by docwet; 12-01-2014 at 10:48 AM.

8. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    southern Minnesota just left of the Driftless

Welcome docwet

Why not post something in the member introductions down in the back at the lodge section?

Any way, welcome and hope to here more about your experiences building rods and fishing in general.

Im glad he will stil be guiding. I think what id miss most is being able to get advice for the rivers i fish. He had 25+ years of guiding..... that is alot knowledge.

11. Likes fredaevans liked this post

What gets me is everyone complains the little guy doesn't carry anything yet goes right to the big stores of worse is joanns or michaels or hobby lobby for stuff. what you all don't relies is as a little guy I only get 20% off retail for stuff I get while the big stores get 50-60 % off retail when they buy. who makes a better profit might I ask..thats the biggest reason we (small stores) are going under, everytime you go some where else it hurts us a lot trying to stay in business. we have to charge for shipping our profit margin is not that big dudes...
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

13. Likes christianfishn, moucheur2003 liked this post

Angry Re: Last fly shop in Salem, Oregon to close.

Quote Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
    What gets me is everyone complains the little guy doesn't carry anything yet goes right to the big stores of worse is joanns or michaels or hobby lobby for stuff. what you all don't relies is as a little guy I only get 20% off retail for stuff I get while the big stores get 50-60 % off retail when they buy. who makes a better profit might I ask..thats the biggest reason we (small stores) are going under, everytime you go some where else it hurts us a lot trying to stay in business. we have to charge for shipping our profit margin is not that big dudes...
    he's right. sad , times are changing , the grass frogs are going extinct and the local fly shops are too. bummer

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory