Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default North Woods Lawless

WOW

North Woods lawless, The controversial Maine Warden Service
    The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

It’s not the first time the service has been accused of overzealous enforcement. The agency has been trying to overcome a reputation for abusing its powers for almost 20 years.

But in this latest incident, the wardens went so far as to unlawfully seize a stock of canned peaches and vegetables from a 64-year-old woman whom they tried to prosecute for processing illegal game. Despite the intervention of lawyers and a state legislator, the woman says they failed to return most of her canned food. After dropping all charges against her, wardens contacted her seasonal employer of 13 years, which resulted in her not being rehired.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

2. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

Default Re: North Woods Lawless

HA!
    Good get RipTide, our tax dollars at work
    Steve

4. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

I'm fortunate to live in Michigan where our DNR Conservation Officers have more important things to do than put on a show. Seriously, unlike many L.E. agencies in our state which have their own self serving agendas, our C.O.'s I have nothing but respect for, and our DNR I'd rank right at the top.

Stories like the above just make me shake my head. Besides being rather insignificant offences in the scheme of things, if that is the most important work they have to do, then perhaps they're not needed.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

6. Likes woodrivertroutbum, ejsell liked this post

Press Release

May 11, 2016
    Maine Warden Service sets the record straight on “North Woods Lawless” allegations
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

There's always two 'sides' to a story

9. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story Mr. reporter!

Rip Tide for President

I've spent some time in that neck of the woods. They follow "social" law up that way, not federal or state. The details don't surprise me in the least. Thanks for posting Rip.

11. Likes GrtLksMarlin, guest65 liked this post

I'm not discounting the newspaper article although it could well be embellished.
    The Maine Warden Service has a long history of overzealous behavior.

13. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

Okay, so RipTide what aspects of the two sides do you believe to be credible? Granted, I realize you can only make an assumption, yet you have better insight into it then I would.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Luckily our Conservation Officers are great people. Reporters tend to get the story correct, they just seem to amp it up a bit with a few choice words to make the reports more interesting or leave out a few choice words to downplay something. All seems to be based on their agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
    Okay, so RipTide what aspects of the two sides do you believe to be credible? Granted, I realize you can only make an assumption, yet you have better insight into it then I would.
    Sorry, not going there.
    I don't know any more about this case than is printed in the news article and the press release. I've never even seen the TV show

What I do know is that the Maine Warden Service has a history of "enforcement by entrapment".
    Many times I've heard stores of wardens hiding in the woods for hours at a time, watching, waiting for you to do something wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast