Help sought with short survey for research project

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
I received the below email asking for help from anglers in taking a short survey - 10 questions only if you can spare the time. A couple of $25 vouchers are up for grabs.

I am working on a group project for my MBA program at Mississippi State and I am trying to get some feedback from the fishing community on a short survey for a new product (fish counting device) that may come to market. We are looking for honest feedback and would like to reach a wider audience. Could you provide any assistance or advice with getting some feedback from the fishing community? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The survey is hosted by survey monkey and here is the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/catchnclick2

Thanks,

Jon Yike

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul

I took the survey, but I'm not into counting fish, so don't see a need for a device like that.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I did not take the survey and I'm not going to
In the past, I've seen people use these things and find the idea of it revolting

Bigfly

Reaction score
Just say no......
The all time worst client, ever, was a guy with a clicker-counter.
The funny part was, he didn't fish well either.
It's the exact thing standing between a consumer, and a connoisseur.
if I get a client with one I'll pack it in......
I'm sure the bait guys will love it.

Jim

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Paul

I took the survey, but I'm not into counting fish, so don't see a need for a device like that.
Ditto, I just carry a note card and a pencil. Well, here in Oregon you need a 'punch card' to fish for either Steelhead or Salmon (second card!). You are to note the type of fish,, did you retain/release. These get mailed in for a 'creel survey' every year.

My Sr. Citizen lic and punchard set me back EIGHTY BUCKS!!

plecain

Reaction score
The state of Maine has boxes near some rivers where they ask you to fill out a card with numbers/types of fish you caught.
It's optional, though.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Fish counts are for DNR net surveys. I'm glad they do it because it is valuable management info. As for me, I'd much rather catch three fish my way than 10 by whatever means necessary. I don't even care to fish with anyone worried about a precise daily fish count because they completely missed the essence of fishing.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Fish counts are for DNR net surveys. I'm glad they do it because it is valuable management info. As for me, I'd much rather catch three fish my way than 10 by whatever means necessary. I don't even care to fish with anyone worried about a precise daily fish count because they completely missed the essence of fishing.
Dewayne: Amen to that!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I am required to complete a log book page every day tallying all species caught this would work for that purpose. Some days the numbers are easily remembered but when things go haywire there's no way to remember how many were caught.

I did the survey

markfrid

Reaction score
I mostly agree, but I'll bet you would have enjoyed fishing with the guy that taught me - totally ate up with fly fishing for trout and one of the best guys to be around, ever. Fly fishing was his "happy place," and he totally got the essence of it. But he was a brainiac, too. Phd in Chem and an MD (Pathology). He loved numbers and data and all the analysis that went with them. Kept track of strikes, hooked, and landed on every pattern he tied on. He didn't keep track for competition sake, but because he loved sleuthing into data. I never heard him talk about it, on the drive home or around the campfire. It was just for him.

Me, I don't keep track. If I'm fishing, I'm happy. Definitely not a brainiac. I think he was an exception - most people who keep close track do it to brag. But not all.

Mark

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Who is John Yike? Is he a member here, or a relative of, or is he simply trying to advertise a potential product?

Past that, I don't know about you fellas, yet when the day comes that I either catch so many fish that I can't keep track of them in my head, or that they are so easily forgettable, well that's the day that I either need to become a professional fisherman or give it up altogether.

Did you all render up your emails addresses? If so, let us all know how that plays out.

B.E.F.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this is alive again I feel I should add that our books allow for the total of each species to be logged and do not provide room for a one by one tally. Paper would be easy but when it's raining that is out. I did the guys survey.

No offense but................. this poll was approved by Paul our editor and an employee of F&F LTD. Because of that it would be desirable to see the survey done if members choose to do it but to fill the thread with criticism of dire warnings of invasion of privacy are pointless, it's a survey not a probe effected by a foreign government fellas.

Lighten up :)

littledavid123

Reaction score
I filled out the survey but haven't counted fish for many years, learned long ago not to judge my enjoyment of fishing by keeping track of numbers.

Dave

Reactions: Ard

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I took the survey.

I haven't tried to keep an accurate count of fish caught in many years now. And at first glance, some of the the survey questions kinda threw me.

But there was a time when I was a simple conventional warmwater fisherman that needed to know how close I was to a limit on occasion. For instance, back in MO thirty years ago there was a lake I fished for bluegill/crappie where the daily limit was 30 crappie/day/fisherman. The limit for bluegill was 15. That would've been a good time for a counter. Instead, we had to keep recounting the little buggers so as not to go over.

So, even though most fly fishermen might not have a great need for a counter, some conventional fishers might.