Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Most California trout and salmon at risk of extinction

Source: San Diego Union Tribune

Three quarters of California’s trout and salmon are at risk of extinction over the next century because of climate change, drought and other threats, a report by UC Davis and CalTrout warned Wednesday.

The report reviewed all 31 species of the state’s native trout, salmon and steelhead — together known as salmonid fish — and concluded that 23 of those are likely to disappear within 100 years. Of those, 14 species could go extinct within 50 years, the report stated.

Among the most imperiled is the Southern Steelhead, an ocean-going trout native to Southern California waterways, including several creeks and rivers in San Diego and Orange Counties. Others include commercially important salmon runs in Central and Northern California.

The potential loss could damage the state’s salmon fisheries and $7 billion inland sportfishing sector, and also herald broader environmental crises, said Curtis Knight, executive director of CalTrout.

If you love fish, you love to go fishing, that’s a concern,” he said, but added, “These are more than just resident fish. Their health indicates the health of our waters, which are important for all Californians.”

The report, entitled “State of the Salmonids II; Fish in Hot Water,” built on a similar study of the fish conducted in 2008. It found that after the five-year drought and recent warming trend, their condition has deteriorated. The authors hope the report can serve as a starting point for conservation efforts that could include dam removal, protecting key rivers, improving fish habitat, and restoring springs and meadows that serve as water sources.

>> Continue reading...
    Paul Sharman
    Editor-in-Chief
    Fish and Fly Ltd

Default Re: Most California trout and salmon at risk of extinction

What warming trend, didn't the government say the temps haven't changed for a number of years?

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

3. Likes smilingduck liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    What warming trend, didn't the government say the temps haven't changed for a number of years?
    I'm also the most handsome man in the world, worshipped for my fashion sense of no sandals, just hunting boots and a speedo.
    Naturally if I still had my hat (McNerney! ), then I would likely be deified

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

5. Likes Ard, 0bie, smilingduck, littledavid123 liked this post

Hey, some may argue that the warming trends that occurred after the Pleistocene era is what gave us fishermen the many of the trout species we have today in our lakes and rivers.

You know, 'cycles' and stuff.

Nature giveth, nature taketh away, or something.

7. Likes Ard, littledavid123 liked this post

And the fact it took these organisms 15,000 years to evolve and two centuries to go extinct underscores the fact we're witnessing something other than "natural."

9. Likes Ard, wheeze liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post

Dave
    When you click on CalTrout's website and then click on "+What are the findings?", one of their findings was this:

"Finally, the climate change scoring in this report has built upon recent work and a better understanding of the specific impact climate change is likely to have on each species, which led to a score reduction of the climate change factor in nearly all cases."

In other words, though the trend (towards endangerment or extinction) is not good, the cause is less attributable to climate change than previously thought.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

11. Likes Ard, littledavid123 liked this post
  12. Default Re: Most California trout and salmon at risk of extinction

I suspect that California's population (and subsequent water consumption) more than doubling in the past 50 years has more to do with it than climate change.

NOAA says that the drought wasn't caused by climate change, but rather was a cyclical drought. With such a cyclical drought hitting at a time when California's population is so large, the effects were exacerbated.

13. Likes Ard, GrtLksMarlin, littledavid123 liked this post

The report went a bit too far to push the [human-caused] climate change agenda.

In addition to fishing for inland trout, I've been fishing the coastal rivers for many years where the bulk of the listed salmonids return to spawn. Dams, water diversions for agriculture, irresponsible government forestry practices, suction dredging, over-harvesting, and the sometimes lame policies of CDFW are among the real reasons for the declines that we've witnessed. Yet, these get sidelined as "other threats."

The Klamath was once well-known for its huge numbers of halfpounders and one-salt fish. What happened to those numbers? What about the Eel? What about the Russian? These rivers once hosted massive runs whose numbers dwindled years ago. How does the climate change argument account for those losses.

Yet, the bull trout is the only total loss (thankfully). And that wasn't a casualty of human caused climate change either.

I also think the report tried to sensationalize the level of potential loss by counting each run of salmonid in each system/watershed as a separate species.

15. Likes littledavid123, Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
    I'm also the most handsome man in the world, worshipped for my fashion sense of no sandals, just hunting boots and a speedo.
    Naturally if I still had my hat (McNerney! ), then I would likely be deified

B.E.F.
    I too, have the physique of a Greek god although my wife says I have my gods confused and look more like budda!

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

17. Likes GrtLksMarlin, Ard liked this post

Not only California. Everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast