Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Older Fishing"

1. Default Re: "Older Fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
    As much as I enjoy fishing surface flies, I never fished or liked to fish dry flies too much. .
    Isn't a surface fly another term for a dry fly? Or is it that while all dry flies are surface flies, all surface flies aren't dry flies? I may not be up on the terminology.

Default Re: "Older Fishing"

There are other types of surface flies, that are not usually considered a dry fly. When I say "dry fly", I'm generally referring to the Catskill styles, and similar types that are intended to represent emergent aquatic adults. The type that would represent a "hatch". I believe at one time it was more well defined, but today with all the materials available & patterns that folks tie, there may be "cross over" patterns. IMO, it's a matter of one's perspective.

To me, beetles, ants, hoppers, crickets, the various bass bugs, poppers, mice & frogs can all be surface flies, but are not "dry flies" per se. These types usually have some buoyant material incorporated, such as foam, cork, spun or stacked & trimmed deer or elk hair, etc. that allows them to float, while "dry flies" float because of surface tension & the hackle used. This is not all inclusive, as there can always be patterns that float using both methods, so it only generally applies. A foam bodied Humpy dry fly would be an example of such a pattern. IMO, "dry flies" once water logged, will not float until dry, while other types of surface flies will continue to float even after being soaked. Of course, again, there are exceptions.

Many of these terms also will be interpreted differently by each of us. Another angler, for example may well be calling beetle, or ant patterns they use "dry flies". Nothing wrong with that.

What I've said here is my interpretation, so there's no absolute right or wrong to any of it. Sorry if my use of these terms has caused confusion.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

3. Likes Ard, yikes, fshng2 liked this post

Yes, indicator nymphing is essentially a bobber setup. So what?

I've gone on a fishing weekend with dry-fly purist. He'd stay in the hotel room and watch TV until the noon hatch came, and he'd fish for less than 2 hours a day.
    The rest of us used nymphs (or streamers) for 4 hours, and switched to dry flies for the hatch, total 6 hours of fishing. We got a chance to fight and land many more fish. And - especially on moving water - nymphing helped us understand hydraulics and substructure, and improved our prospecting skills.

I'm not going to tell my dry-fly purist friend how to spend his vacation time, but I definitely have more fun fishing 6 hours a day, including a thingamabobber, than just limiting myself to a 1-2 hour hatch window.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

5. Likes myt1 liked this post
  6. Default Re: "Older Fishing"

Thank you BigJim for the excellent explanation! I understand now.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    They are too easy to catch, making them something other than "game" fish. Personally I think they are sweet tasting and look great on my plate, angling fun, I would rate them at about 3/10
    I also enjoy this tasy fish , i have a buddy that loads up his smoker with them , wow ..... if you havenít tried tnis ,youre missing out , we have sat around eating these many times

Airborne

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    currently a shameful reliance on it by guides and their miserable casters who drag their nymphs and pink indicators from the back of drift boats.
    Guides are conflicted.
    Many clients want to fish a dry.....but either they can't cast, or get a drift, or the fish aren't showing noses, or all of the above.
    The first thing you learn about rowing a drift boat....is you need to put the boat within 10-15ft of shore because most folks can't cast any farther. And most have an upstream "auto mend", whether they should mend or not. I had one of those yesterday...literally could not cast without flicking the line upstream...even when shown a downstream mend was needed....many fish mindlessly and hope for success.

So, it's hardly "shameful" to fish an Indy. We could just float down the river casting, casting, flogging etc......
    For one thing, I have become aware that over the years, Indy fishing is actually much harder to learn and execute than fishing a dry.
    To say otherwise is pure BS dry propaganda adopted from the Brits...... BS is short for British style.....I should confess here....that I used to believe everything they handed down to US about fishing......from the "old days".....

But as they say.....80% of the time fish feed under water.
    So if you don't mind getting shut down 80% of the time fishing a dry, then go for it. Personally, I like to catch fish when I go fish.
    As far as dragging it from behind a boat, that is how folks like it.......
    Most can't get a drift from shore, so they enjoy the boat thing (they get to sit and fish). The guide does most of the work, and they get their fish. As Yikes alluded to......fishing an Indy is a far more productive style of fishing. Less of a control issue too....
    I spent 3 hours casting sz 20 Baetis dries to rising Bows yesterday........caught a few too.....
    When they stopped rising, I fished an Indy. I guess I could have kept casting anyway......trying to make them do something they didn't want to do....rise.
    Don't see a thing wrong with taking the game to the fish.
    I have said before, an Indy is a presentation platform, whatever the color....serving my offering from 1ft down, to 10 feet or more......
    Hit them on the nose with food, wherever they are...........
    Some old guys work a problem, some just fish a dry.

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 10-23-2017 at 01:54 PM.

9. Likes just4grins, myt1 liked this post

Jim, your comments about "indys" are spot on. However, to me it goes beyond "bobbers." After the film "A River Runs Through It", mediocre at best, so many wanted to be stylized flyfishers and didn't have the interest in learning how to fish, but just wanted to catch fish and dress appropriately.
    I do understand the business needs of guides, and we're glad to have you available. However, there are dapplers and true sport fisherman. That aside, the funds that flow into conservation and habitation are very needed. If people are having a good time, regardless of their abilities it's OK, but my God the crowds!
    Damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

11. Likes Bigfly liked this post
  12. Default Re: "Older Fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    Many clients want to fish a dry.....but either they can't cast, or get a drift, or the fish aren't showing noses, or all of the above.
    Jim
    As the fishing season draws to a close (and I start thinking about woodworking and snowboarding) the take-home lesson I learned this year is this: just use a woolly bugger. LMB, SMB, crappies, bluegills, rainbow, brown, brookie, I caught all those on woolly buggers (though I did catch a striper on a Clouser). For example, yesterday I took the dog for a walk at a local stream, and I brought my little 4-weight (most of my fishing is actually a cast or two while walking the dog). I started with some dry flies and the like (Parachute Adams, ant, etc.). Nothing. I tied on a little brown woolly bugger, second cast, big brown trout.

Digression: I have this dog (three year old mutt, so-called "Carolina Dog"; some mix with at least a little pit bull, short hair, about 30 lb, energy measured in kilotons) who has gained some local notoriety as the "fishing dog": while the line is in the water, she stands like a statue staring at it (if I am just walking on the trail by the pond and other people are fishing, she runs over in front of them staring at their lines; I have to leash her and drag her away). Other people come to chat, other dogs sniff at her, she doesn't move a muscle. But if I hook something she goes absolutely nuts, and it is an adventure keeping her away from the fish. Fortunately she is happy even if I catch a bunch of weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    My question is, how do I live if I have to watch a bobber all winter.

Bill
    Try dropshotting.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    Some old guys work a problem, some just fish a dry.
    Wow, what a great quote.

As the old saying goes: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail."

I just don't want dry flies to be my only tool. I want to be the competent generalist that can catch fish in all conditions using the most effective technique, all while still abiding by the inherent limitations of fly fishing.

Yes, if there is a hatch I'm quick to fish a dry fly...it is a blast. In fact, I just started carrying two rods with me when I fish, one perennially rigged with a dry fly, and I think I catch more fish as a result. I can now use a dry fly even during a short minor hatch, whereas if I only had one rod I might not go to the trouble of switching from a nymph set-up.

I'm also of the opinion it takes more skill to fish a nymph indicator set-up in all its iterations. There are just so many different types and they all involve their own skill set. Not only that, but the feel one has to develop to even feel a take while nymphing is substantial.

This all started with a great article by Jim Harrison. Thanks so much. He is definitely one of my all time favorite authors.

Other than maybe Russell Chatham, I haven't read any of other authors on the list that accompanied the Harrison story. I have a lot of work to do.
    Last edited by myt1; 10-24-2017 at 12:35 PM.

15. Likes Bigfly liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast