The popular rise of nymphing...

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I would say nymphing has grown like it has because it relates more to a conventional fishermans style and as it became more popular in the 80's with czech nymphing,so did fly fishing.A lot of fishermen are crappie fishing with a jig and float or panfishing with a worm and float and they see nymphing with an indicator as something they can identify with vs dry fly fishing.Fishing with the large articulated streamers has also increased for the same reason i believe.The bass fishermen and pike or musky fishermen can see this style as one similar to what they are used to as they use their spinning gear and baitcasting gear to chuck lures very similar to these flies.Many fishermen probably had no desire to fly fish until they seen these type flies being fished in these styles and decided to give it a try.There are more fly fishermen nymphing these days but they have not caused a decrease in dry flies.There are still many dry fly fishermen with just as many dry flies.

As for the decrease in insects...not so around here.I live in a farming area with many types of crops and the insect are just as abundant as they always were (especially gnats and mosquitos).When on a river or stream i see just as many dragonflies or hatches as i remember when i were younger.I see no shortage.May be a german problem that is headed here in our future but i see no problem now.

Last edited:

wf0

Reaction score
Poor effort at a joke. Sky is falling - We are going to be driven to nymphing due to a future devoid of winged insects. Sorry dry-fly purists. ;P

flytie09

Reaction score
The rise of nymphing has to do with the acceleration of anglers knowledge, the internet has brought all of the secrets out to the masses. I only fished dry flies for 20 years. We all now know trout feed all day long, if there isn't a hatch... they're feeding sub surface. We have all the tips, tricks, and techniques only learned through hard knocks at your finger tips.

It has 0 to do with dry fly insect declines. They're one in the same. If insect activity is declining in Germany..., it's not where I fish. Now fish numbers.... that's another story.

If it was meant in jest... I'm sorry I missed the punch line.

ft09

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Poor effort at a joke. Sky is falling - We are going to be driven to nymphing due to a future devoid of winged insects. Sorry dry-fly purists. ;P
Actually, I didn't know what you were getting at. It seemed like you are saying that there are fewer aquatic flying insects and therefore fewer dry flies are being fished by fly fishers. That logic is faulty.

For the population of hatching flying insects to decrease, there must be about the same decrease in the immature forms of aquatic larva and nymphs. So there is no reason to nymph thinking that because the hatches are decreasing, there will still be an ample population of the immature forms.

Nymphing would also get tougher. Nymphers will be hanged by the same facts as the dry fly fishers. So a lack of dry fly hatches will not drive fishers to nymphs because a population collapse would hurt nymphing to the same degree.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I think the growing popularity of nymphing is due primarily to the development of easier and more effective nymphing techniques, especially floating indicators and beadhead fly patterns. In the old days many purists thought using "bobbers" and weighted lures was antithetical to the ethic of fly fishing. Not so any more.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I think the growing popularity of nymphing is due primarily to the development of easier and more effective nymphing techniques, especially floating indicators and beadhead fly patterns. In the old days many purists thought using "bobbers" and weighted lures was antithetical to the ethic of fly fishing. Not so any more.
This
The rise in popularity the of nymphing occurred directly with the availability of manufactured strike indicators.
Guides begain teaching "bobber fishing" almost solely as it was the easiest way to put their sports onto fish.
By the time that "the movie" came around, nymping was the only style of fly fishing some people knew.
The somewhat recent "discovery" of streamer fishing illustrates that perfectly

wthorpe

Reaction score
Good news, bad news: Good (I think): Indicators/bobbers and more recently big streamers have revolutionized fly fishing, and attracted many thousands of new participants. Bad: All those new fishers wanna fish where you and i do. There are days when i have wanted to fish on the wade section of the Madison and i just cannot bear the crowds. Perhaps in reaction to all of this i find myself fishing more and more with dries and dry dropper rigs and hardly at all with bobber rigs and streamers. (On the other hand i caught a nearly 22" bow using a rubber legs/zebra midge bobber rig on the Henry's Fork earlier this week, so i do get the point!) I am also trying to get away from the bobber / streamer crowds of fishers by going to smaller, lesser known, farther from the parking lot places -- but with only mixed success so far.

JW51

Reaction score
Actually in some tailwater rivers due to the drought and lack of "flushing flows" to clean the gravel, together with the increase of weeds, there has been a shift from caddis and mayflies, dependent on gravel, and worms, sowbugs and scuds which thrive in weed beds. In some recent years the fall Baetis simply never materialized.

I don't like to do links, but this study on the Missouri has a lot of cogent material.

UMOWA: The Case For Flushing Flows - Headhunters Fly Shop

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Good news, bad news: Good (I think): Indicators/bobbers and more recently big streamers have revolutionized fly fishing, and attracted many thousands of new participants. Bad: All those new fishers wanna fish where you and i do. There are days when i have wanted to fish on the wade section of the Madison and i just cannot bear the crowds. Perhaps in reaction to all of this i find myself fishing more and more with dries and dry dropper rigs and hardly at all with bobber rigs and streamers. (On the other hand i caught a nearly 22" bow using a rubber legs/zebra midge bobber rig on the Henry's Fork earlier this week, so i do get the point!) I am also trying to get away from the bobber / streamer crowds of fishers by going to smaller, lesser known, farther from the parking lot places -- but with only mixed success so far.
Interesting observation! Recently I have been fishing lakes near Pinedale and ran into two fly fishermen from Rock Springs and we were talking about this same subject. They used to consider the Green river (both UT and WY) their home water. Wiith the tremendous increase of fishermen over the past 10 years, and sometimes running into those with no fishing etiquette, they no longer fish those waters. Instead they now primarily fish stillwater's to avoid the confrontations.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I never did a lot of trout fishing anyway, and when I did get on a trout stream, most of the time I used either nymphs, streamers or some type of terrestrial pattern.

IMO, the popularity of fishing dry flies is more about being able to see the fish react to the fly floating on the surface. We tend to delight more in what we can visually see.

Nymphs & most subsurface flies are often more productive, but less satisfying for many folks, and for some harder to obtain results.

I love fishing surface flies, but for trout, and trying to be on the water during a hatch to take advantage of using dry flies was never something I was able to do consistently. I rather be fishing than waiting for a hatch too, so nymphs, streamers & even wet flies were tied to my tippet more than dry flies.

IMO, and just an observation I've made. Flies for trout that are touted have changed a lot over the years. Yes, there are still those folks who stick with the classic styles & patterns, but many of the "newer" flies are flashier & more complex than older flies. At one time, many of what is used today, would have been scoffed at. Many of today's trout flies more resemble flies used for bass, pike, etc. that they do older trout flies. The mind set has changed.

That may not be a bad thing, I've used a lot of flies for trout in the past that were more like my bass flies, and had guys tell me, that won't work, yet it did.

As far as the insect populations, aquatic or otherwise, I have no idea what's happening there. Seems everyone is doing studies, and the sky is falling as a result. There seems to be plenty of insects in my area, There was a rather large Wolf Spider in my bathroom the other night & I even saw some mayflies the other day on my truck, but there's no trout here anyway.

I'm not reading anything from the various forums or websites that I visit where trout folks post regularly to indicate any issue, so I'll simply note that study & keep doing what I've always done. :)