Open Letter from Lefty

Rip Tide

Reaction score

To my friends,

I was 92 in January and had a carotid artery operation. During testing the hospital determined my heart was only pumping 35% and must limit my physical activities followed by a rest. The industry was extremely helpful and last season was able to attend the shows, clinics, etc.

Several weeks ago, I realized I was developing another problem, which is normal for someone nearly 93. It turns out I have congested heart failure. My pacemaker revealed there was a series of very rapid hear beats, which could cause a stroke. Fortunately a lot of doctor/friends are fly-fisherman and worked with me. In summary I have to give up travel and presentations as in the past.

Everyone produces a certain amount of fluid in the body and excretes the excess. Because of the low heartbeat my body is not getting rid of all the fluids and I gained weight. My best friend Dr. Mark Lamos put me in the hospital and with back procedure they twice removed a liter and a half of fluid from my chest. After five days in the hospital. I lost weight.

A week or so later I starting gaining weight again so it was back in the hospital for the same treatment. They reduced most of the fluid and returned home. I determined I was not going to continue back to the hospital. Mark decided to use medicine to control the excess fluid. It’s been a fine-tuning situation but looks like it’s starting work.

This means the schedule I lived for decades is no longer valid and will spend most my time at home. As we get older we learn to adjust to what we can and cannot do. I have a number of interesting computer home projects on the computer and busier than a Syrian bricklayer. I’m not frustrated and I’m content My problem is I don’t have a lot of stamina and have to work around that. If Marks medical system works I should be busy and around for a year or two.

I would like to be able to send this email to my friends but I don’t really know how to do this. So I’m asking others to help me spread the word through email. Because my lack of energy and stamina I having trouble answering emails (there are more than 400 on the computer) and not talking much on the phone. This is not meant to be unfriendly is learning to adjuster my situation.

In summary I’m busy and content but I want you to know I am so appreciative you’ve have shared your lives with me.

All The Best Friends,
Lefty

scotty macfly

Reaction score
That's sad.

I hope Lefty gets a little more energy back and gets the fluid in his chest under control soon.

He is such a fishing icon, and to lose him would be a giant loss to our sport. But age deals with each of us in different ways, and for being 93, it's expected to have some issues with health.

I do hope he is content and busy like he says.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks Rip Tide. I had only become aware of this a day or two ago myself so had planned to share it but glad it is up for everyone to see now.
Long may you keep on casting and fishing Lefty!

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but thanks for posting this letter.

And I join you in wishing Lefty luck and a bounce back from his current travails. After all, the man gave me 55 years of fly rod adventures.

I'll explain: As a high school student in 1962 in suburban Pittsburgh I had bought a $20 fly fishing outfit and taught myself to cast in our back yard, My dad didn't fish, but some of his friends did and they would take me along. Bait fishing for carp and watching bobbers for perch. And I would go along and try to cast a McGinty Bee from the edge of a reservoir.

I had decided that fly fishing was a hoax and a scam and was about to buy a Zebco so I could fish for real. Then I went to a sportsmen's show in Pittsburgh where Lefty Kreh was demonstrating Fenwick glass fly rods. I watched for about 10 minutes and was about to leave when he called over to me and asked whether I had ever tried to use a fly rod.

I told him my tale of woe and he brought me up on his casting platform and proceeded to give me at least a full hour of casting and fishing lessons. Part of his demo was casting two rods at the same time, and by the time we were done he had me doing that as well.

Quite simply he was determined that I keep at fly fishing and that I understood that it was anything but a hoax. Through the years, I have often thought about how important fly fishing has been and how one hour with Lefty Kreh gave me the incentive to carry on with this beautiful sport.

I never had the chance to meet him and talk to him again. Makes me wonder how many other lives he touched with his casual encouragement and kind interest.

Hang in there Lefty, you're one in a million.

SGS

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Temple Fork Outfitters facebook post from yesterday, 11/15/17

A few minutes ago we enjoyed a light hearted conversation with Lefty – he’s concerned about folk’s sadness over his death. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that he’s concerned for all of us. Classic Lefty.

It’s important to him that his friends know he’s comfortable at home with his family and hospice care givers. He was as upbeat as ever about a life incredibly well lived, and we’d add, “well shared” with all of us who love him dearly.

With a smile he shared a joke and signed off as usual “thanks o’l friend”.

Like each of you, we continue to keep him and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Jan 28=2018

God and my doctor have given me an extension. Some weeks ago I was put in home hospice care with three medical problems and it was assumed I’d be here a short time. Word about it went on the Internet and my computer and iPhone were flooded with wonderful and humbling messages. I read every one but regretfully wasn’t able to reply to most. My granddaughter used Facebook to handle messages.

My doctor and best friend experimented with medicines and said, “I going to try to keep you around.” So far it’s working. I’m confined to my home, hooked to oxygen and have little stamina. My daughter and son are taking constant care of me and no father was more blessed.

Several computer projects keep me busy. There have been been ups and downs with some additional surgery, which is slowly getting better.

There is no guarantee on how long I’ll be here but am so humbled and grateful for all your wonderful messages.

All The Best, Lefty

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Lefty has long been such a fixture at the big fly fishing shows that his absence on the casting pond and around the gaggle of his close friends at the TFO booth made the new and gigantic Edison Show feel somehow smaller. The TFO group did call him regularly to keep him appraised of goings on. For some reason mysterious to me, we don't seem to develop seminal giants of fly fishing like Lee Wulff, Ernest Schweibert and Bernard Victor Kreh. Sure, there are many very talented and charismatic individuals involved in fly fishing but none with the depth and breadth of influence of these great fishermen.

coho52

Reaction score
Thinking about Lefty reminds me we are all on the same path - hopefully, a very long one - and the best that can be said of any of us is that we contributed to something bigger than ourselves. I hope Lefty remains with us a bit longer.

I was thinking about what S&S wrote about how people like Lefty are from a time of giants that hasn’t been duplicated. Maybe it’s true as in most areas of human effort - the pioneers and explorers, always so very few, loom large because they were the ones to establish the path for others to follow.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
Lefty has long been such a fixture at the big fly fishing shows that his absence on the casting pond and around the gaggle of his close friends at the TFO booth made the new and gigantic Edison Show feel somehow smaller. The TFO group did call him regularly to keep him appraised of goings on. For some reason mysterious to me, we don't seem to develop seminal giants of fly fishing like Lee Wulff, Ernest Schweibert and Bernard Victor Kreh. Sure, there are many very talented and charismatic individuals involved in fly fishing but none with the depth and breadth of influence of these great fishermen.
Most today seek the fame. I think Lefty and his predecessors just wanted to help. They just wanted more people to fly fish. Lefty was more than just approachable. As described above by sparsegraystubble he didn't wait for you to come to him, he came to you. When you watch his fly fishing videos how many times does he pick a young lady or a kid from the crowd? He gets them casting in no time. He's rough around the edges but overall he's sharing what he loves.

The fame is part of it. It's not that he's better than everyone it's that he loves fishing and wants everyone else to as well. He doesn't just want you to be ok with fishing, he wants it to be a second religion. He wants to make you a fly fishing disciple. I just don't get that from many of today's celebrities. There are a couple tiers out there that are pretty humble and seem to have a similar passion. Most today want to be Lefty and have his notoriety. Lefty just wants to go fishing.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Just a heads up that the April-May 2018 edition of Fly Fisherman magazine has both an editor’s column and a tribute to Lefty written by Flip Pallot.

Both are well worth reading.

Don

coho52

Reaction score
Lefty Kreh died today - March 14th. See below:

Bernard Victor Kreh “Lefty” passed away today in the presence of his family. He passed without pain. He told us multiple times during the worsening of his illness how lucky he was to have so many friends. During these last few weeks he was so sick and without energy that he was unable to respond to any emails and the many phone messages left for him. I can say this was a-great comfort to him.
There will be a celebration of his life in the upcoming weeks. We will update you when plans are made.
Lefty would want us to celebrate life and not mourn him.
During the course of the week that I’ve been here, one thing he kept mumbling was Spirit Springs, over and over. When I asked him, what or where that is, he simply replied, that’s where he’s going, to fishing heaven, to Spirit Springs.
He passed peacefully and with no pain. He was surrounded by family and loved ones.
At the time of his death, a hard wind shook the house as if he was taking the winds home to my Grandma.
As he got me into photography, he once told me he had to carry a camera with him because you never know when something may take your breath away and you want to take it home for later.
So on ending this, I know myself and all of you are going to look to the water now, and if you come to a spot where something takes your breath away, I’m going to feel his presence each time and take a photo. That way I can take a bit of the inspiration and his spirit back home with me.
Tight Lines, best wishes, and All The Best,
Sam and The Kreh Family
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorial contributions be made to: Greater Baltimore Medical Center / Gilchrist hospice in honor of Lefty Kreh to Mail to: GBMC Philanthropy, 6701 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21204; or online at Donate Now - GBMC HealthCare - Greater Baltimore Medical Center - Towson-Baltimore, MD (Under “Designation” choose “Other.” Then in the next field, type: “Lefty Kreh Memorial”); or call: 443-849-3303.

cb

Reaction score
An amazing man, fly caster and brilliant communicator. RIP Lefty.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Sad news indeed but what a life and a man worth celebrating. A true innovator of our sport. RIP Lefty - we will miss you.