Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Paiute Cutthroat Trout Return to Silver King Creek for First Time in 71 Years

Paiute Cutthroat Trout Return to Silver King Creek for First Time in 71 Years

US Forest Service article on the restoration of the Paiute cutthroat trout in Silver King Creek in the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest. They were retrieved from a refuge on the North Fork of Cottonwood Creek in the White Mountains, near Bishop, where a population had been sequestered by biologists 71 years ago.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

2. Likes philip43, cpiercem liked this post

Default Re: Paiute Cutthroat Trout Return to Silver King Creek for First Time in 71 Years

A great recovery project, for an area that could easily be poisoned and re-stocked by genetically pure strains.

I dream of the day the Kern River Rainbow would return in it's pure genetic form, considering that there are rumors that pure KRRs may exist in some tributaries up there. But...you can't really poison the entire Kern, can you?

Now if the DFW could figure out what's happening to all the fish in Hot Creek, I'd feel my license dollars are actually being put to work!

4. Likes jpbfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Paiute Cutthroat Trout Return to Silver King Creek for First Time in 71 Years

good exemple to follow

It's great to read stories like this, thank you for posting it!

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

What struck me was that seventy years ago, someone had the forethought to save some native fish. They didn't have to, and it looks like no easy feat. Someone decided it was worth the effort. Someone decided it was worth keeping. That maybe someday, someone else would want to see them.

They made a choice and gifted us an opportunity. We choose if it's passed along.