It's so cold that.....

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, I have never heard of that happening either.
The east coast sure has had its share of cold weather this winter. It was cold here on the front range of Colorado a few days ago, but the weather has warmed up to the mid-40's today.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are just in the wrong place, it was 46 here yesterday. We had a full ten days of weather between 3* and 10* then the warm began creeping back. This morning (currently) it is reading 32 at the weather station at Wasilla airport and 33.5 here at the house. I was in town yesterday and Wasilla Lake had so much runoff on it that there were waves as if there were open water. Willow AK. is where I launch for winter trips to the cabin, it was 41 there yesterday and that creates problems every time.

I can only describe the conditions as basically upside down. When I see it 19 degrees in OK. City and 46 here you have to wonder.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
You guys are just in the wrong place, it was 46 here yesterday. We had a full ten days of weather between 3* and 10* then the warm began creeping back. This morning (currently) it is reading 32 at the weather station at Wasilla airport and 33.5 here at the house. I was in town yesterday and Wasilla Lake had so much runoff on it that there were waves as if there were open water. Willow AK. is where I launch for winter trips to the cabin, it was 41 there yesterday and that creates problems every time.

I can only describe the conditions as basically upside down. When I see it 19 degrees in OK. City and 46 here you have to wonder.
I've watched your weather for years Ard, just out of curiosity. Upside down is an accurate way to describe it. Even though our winters have been generally mild for a long time we are still much colder than you quite consistently during mid-winter. Almost 70 degrees colder here than Anchorage this week, at night anyway seeing temps below -20 for days. That's an anomaly of course. We rarely see temps nearly that low. But the trend is weird for the five years I have been paying attention for sure.

flyminded

Reaction score
The current temp in coastal South Carolina is 27F, with a wind chill in the teens.

After 3-4 hours of freezing rain, we now have snow falling at a rate of about 1 inch per hour.

Rip Tide

Reaction score

On the local weather report this morning, they said that it was warmer in Anchorage then it was in Jacksonville Flordia
We're having a "heatwave" right now. It's over 20*, but that's because of the "death storm" that's expected tomorrow

silver creek

Reaction score
Part One ...It is so cold that

The Official Wisconsin Temperature Conversion Chart

50° Fahrenheit (10° C)

• New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
• Wisconsinites plant gardens.

40° Fahrenheit (4.4° C)

• Californians shiver uncontrollably.
• Wisconsinites Sunbathe.

35° Fahrenheit (1.6° C)

• Italian Cars won't start
• Wisconsinites drive with the windows down

32° Fahrenheit (0 ° C)

• Distilled water freezes
• Wiscinsin water get thicker.

0° Fahrenheit (-17.9° C)

• New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
• Wisconsinites have the last cookout of the season.

-40° Fahrenheit (-40° C)

• Hollywood disintegrates.
• Wisconsinites rent some videos.

-60° Fahrenheit (-51° C)

• Mt. St. Helens freezes.
• Wisconsin Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-100° Fahrenheit (-73° C)

• Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
• Wisconsinites pull down their ear flaps.

-173° Fahrenheit (-114° C)

• Ethyl alcohol Freezes.
• Wisconsinites get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-460° Fahrenheit (-273° C)

• Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
• Wisconsinites start saying "cold, eh?"

-500° Fahrenheit (-295° C)

• Hell freezes over.
• The Minnesota Vikings win the Super Bowl.

Hell may freeze over this year!!!!!!

silver creek

Reaction score
Part 2 ..... It is so cold that

Two guys from Minnesota die and wake up in hell. The next day the devil stops in to check on them and sees them dressed in parkas, mittens, and toques warming themselves around the fire. The devil asks them, "What are you doing? Isn't it hot enough for you?" The two guys reply, "Well, you know, we're from Minnesota, the land of snow and ice and cold. We're just happy for a chance to warm up a little bit, eh."

The devil decides that these two aren't miserable enough and turns up the heat. The next morning he stops in again and there they are, still dressed in parkas, toques and mittens. The devil asks them again, "It's awfully hot down here, can't you guys feel it?" Again the two guys reply, "Well, like we told ya yesterday, we're from Minnesota, the land of snow and ice and cold. We're just happy for a chance to warm up a little bit, eh."

This gets the devil a little steamed up and he decides to fix these two guys. He cranks the heat up as high as it will go. The people are wailing and screaming everywhere. He stops by the room with the two guys from Minnesota and finds them in light jackets and bucket hats, grilling sausage and drinking beer. The devil is astonished, "Everyone down here is in abject misery, and you two seem to be enjoying yourselves."
The two Minnesotans reply, "Well, ya know, we don't get too much warm weather up there in Minneapolis so we've just got to have a cook-out when the weather's THIS nice."

The devil is absolutely furious, he can hardly see straight. Finally he comes up with the answer. The two guys love the heat because they have been cold all their lives. The devil decides to turn all the heat off in hell. The next morning, the temperature is below zero, icicles are hanging everywhere; people are shivering so bad that they are unable to do anything but wail, moan, and gnash their teeth. The devil smiles and heads for the room with the two Minnesotans. He gets there and finds them back in their parkas, toques, and mittens. NOW they are jumping up and down, cheering, yelling, and screaming like mad men!!!

The devil is dumbfounded, "I don't understand, when I turn up the heat you're happy. Now it's freezing cold and you're still happy. What is wrong with you two???"

The Minnesotans look at the devil in surprise, "Well, don't you know? If hell freezes over, it must mean the Vikings have won the Super Bowl!!!"

silver creek

Reaction score
Part 3 ..... It is so cold that

Government surveyors came to Ole's farm in the fall and asked if they could do some surveying. Ole agreed, and Lena even served them a nice meal at noon time.

The next spring, the two surveyors stopped by and told Ole, "Because you were so kind to us, we wanted to give you this bad news in person instead of by letter."

Ole replied, "What's the bad news?"

The surveyors stated, "Well, after our work here, we discovered your farm is not in Minnesota but is actually in Wisconsin!"

Ole looked at Lena and said, "That's the best news I have heard in a long time. I just told Lena this morning that I don't think I can take another winter in Minnesota."

karstopo

Reaction score
Funny that Wisconsin humor.

We are getting a winter this year, but we had worse in the 1970s and 1983 and 1989. I like having some cold. Shortens the heat season and provides a little variety.

Ice in the guides here, that’s a first for me. Weather is pretty interesting. It’s amazing to me that people live in the high Arctic and the blazing desert and the steamy tropics and somehow make it work. The Inuit are super impressive living life for centuries where they do. They made Greenland work when the Vikings couldn’t for very long.

I like shoveling snow. I never get to do it in Texas. I got to in Massachusetts where I lived for several years. Good way to warm up. Snow shoes, running around in those, are another fun way to heat up,

Here, I split wood or paddle my kayak for warm.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Yah U Betcha it’s cold eh. Been below zero for awhile now a week before Christmas or two it started. It’s twens to 20 below south central, 35-40 below north. I guess people don’t get our sense of humor.

Last edited:

smarty140

Reaction score
After spending the last 2 winters (and the first 5 of my life) in International Falls, and most of a decade outside Duluth, it seems balmy warm here in NW Wisconsin now, even during the several mornings recently when the truck thermometer said -22 on the way to work in the morning. It seems to average around 10 deg warmer here most days.

The shortage of natural gas over the past week due to the whole eastern half of the country being cold has made for a crappy week at work, though.

If a little cold weather means the Vikings are going to win the Super Bowl... bring on the cold!!

I do always get a kick out of the “it’s so cold in Wisconsin” jokes... there’s a whole lot of MN that’s north of where WI ends and Lake Superior starts!

ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The real picture is that it is currently 3* in Prudhoe Bay Alaska, that's all the way up there. Normal temps for this time of year historically are in the -45 range.

Upside down weather

weiliwen

Reaction score
By Saturday, Chicago will set a record, with the most days in a row without the temperatures exceeding 20 degrees F. Not as cold as Int'l Falls, but cold by Chicagoland standards.

My dad used to tease us kids with stories about when he was an explorer. He told us, "When I was exploring in the Arctic north, one day, it was so cold that when we talked, the words would freeze and we'd have to re-arrange the letters on the ground so others would understand us!"

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Ard I saw that on the news, colder here than Alaska and sometimes that happens the opposite temps, usually though what you have for weather hits here a week later.

The term polar vortex is being batted about, the first time we heard that was a cold normal winter about 4 years ago. We all laughed our butts off.

It’s true it’s an old term that was never really used our entire lives, until sensationalist weather journalism brought it to the forefront for ratings.

It sounds so dark and ominous- polar vortex. LOL

It was called cold front out of Canada our entire lives. LOL

One of the things I like about sub zero temps for long periods is the fact that it kills off all the bugs, ones that kill trees especially, ticks, are down after cold winters there is just a lot of healthy things about a very cold winter.

Last edited:

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I'm enjoying the "polar votex" this year so far. Been nice here. I wouldn't go as far to say "rare" though. I remember being a kid and seeing highs in Anchorage warmer than Castle Rock, CO. I also remember it being 70* in January. Weather. It changes. Although the high country needs the snow....as always. As long as it's above 7,000ft let it snow all winter long. (Except for Telluride. I hope a giant dust cloud rolls in and places a sand dune in the middle of town.)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk