Trout color vision

silver creek

Reaction score
What is important for me is that if we see color differently than fish, then we see the color of naturals as being different from what the fish sees. If we cannot see UV at all and a fish can, then UV "color" of the natural is added to the color that the fish sees but not the color that we see. Therefore the UV tint creates a color difference that we cannot see but the fish can.

How then can we match the color that the fish actually sees with our fly tying materials since the fly tying materials will have a UV color and a red color difference that we humans cannot see?

We just do the best we can. There is not much else we can do.

Consider a human that is color blind. If we were a person with red-green color blindness, we would have a hard time buying a color that matches our wife's dress. Here is a link that shows the effect of color blindness. It illustrates the challenge of matching the UV "color" fo fish that see into the UV range. Go to the slides that allow you to choose what a color blind person sees compared to what normals see.

Types of Colour Blindness — Colour Blind Awareness

How well would you match the colors of the natural if you were color blind and had to paint the original? Although we are “blind” to a color other than UV, the photos below are illustrative of the problems that can occur if we have to match UV and the UV reflectance of a food item is important to the fish.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
We’ve had these discussions before, looking at the pictures which is similar to what trout see?

3 color and more monochrome with a UV glow? I do know this for certain too much UV materials and the trout don’t seem to like that at all.

I am a believer that color is important, seen it too many times personally but I’m having trouble visualizing what the fish might see.