Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  85
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: LL Bean Return Policy Change

That’s kind of what I was thinking. There’s more to it than what is on the surface. They have a new CEO (2016).... anytime this happens there are “assessments” of the business synergies. It was an easy cost cutting measure.... but made to look as a new phenomena of excessive customer abuse. The company was around for 100+ years. The internet.....maybe 20. People knew about their 100% lifetime satisfaction warranty well before the internet. And LL Bean honored them.

Cabelas used to have similar warranties on their items, but no more.

Just other angles to consider.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

2. Likes myt1 liked this post

The problem with any lifetime warranty is a company can't possibly know how that unfolds financially, decades from now. I can only think of a few companies I have purchased substantially expensive products that offer a lifetime warranty. I knew I was normally paying 200%+ of what I would expect the product to be priced at compared to lessor competitors. We have discussed this at length here, but any such policy invites abuse. Abuse of the product and abuse of the warranty policy. Fly rod manufacturers have invoked service charges to get out of their original promise. They aren't giving up much when you make a breakage return.

4. Likes flytie09 liked this post

And that's why we can't have nice things.

Shimano USA used to have a great policy on their items, until anglers would purposefully break last year's model rod whenever the new model would come out knowing they'd have a brand new rod for $25.

I used to work at Eddie Bauer back in high school, and people would return items that were 20 years old, and I was mandated to offer them a new item on the spot, no questions asked.

These are the same people who return 5% of a burrito because 'it tasted weird' and ask for their money back.

6. Likes trs liked this post
    Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

There is a retailer that for 10.00 offer a no fault warranty on work boots. So people would wear them for a while then put them in the freezer and intentionally crack the soles by bending them when frozen. They turn them in a get a new pair.

Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

I read where a class action suit has been filed against LL Bean due to their change of policy. I guess they are upset about their garage sale and thrift shop purchases without sales receipt will no longer be covered.

I just started fly fishing and I chose to get a LLBean combo rod part of it is that I knew that if there was an issue I would have no issues. It is still the case unless I do something dumb like run it over. I wear the River Diver shirts all the time. I have 5 of them its like my uniform. I still love their gear. I have a pair of old bean boots I bought out of college 20+ years ago and while they are worn out a little on bottom they are in great shape. I would never return them as I feel I more than got my money out of those boots. I will gladly pay to get them resoled so that i can wear them another 20 years.

I just don't get people who want to keep abusing the system. I worked in retail a long time and now it is if you complain enough someone will give in and give you what you want mentality.

10. Likes iv_wjb, ejsell liked this post

Never bought any thing from LL bean. Been in the store once at the MOA.

Do people want stuff for free? Yes
    Will people abuse a warranty? Yes

Maybe it wasn’t so smart to have such a ill defined policy but a lawsuit over ending is quite laughable.

Viewing the products list most of the stuff is made over seas, maybe give the guy suing 50 shirts or whatever and end it cheap.

12. Default Re: LL Bean Return Policy Change

I actually dislike it when companies offer this type of return policy. It is inconsistent with the typical morals of our society today. This thread proves it to me. Company sells a product and says, "If this product is no longer satisfactory to you, send it back, whatever the reason, however old it is, and regardless of how you acquired it, and we'll replace it." Then we, as a society, call those that don't restrict the use of this policy to what we consider acceptable as "abuse."

Blog Entries

Here is a good article from NPR on the LL Bean return policy:
    What Happens When Stores Let Customers Return Whatever They Want? : Planet Money : NPR
    Larry

14. Likes ejsell liked this post

I have zero problem with requiring a receipt or proof of sale. That seems more elegant if it is about the scammers.
    Q: How many turns on a whip finish? A: "Enough to cover your mistakes" - AK Best

16. Likes iv_wjb, ejsell liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast