LL Bean Return Policy Change

flytie09

Reaction score
An end to a 107 year running lifetime guarantee.

L.L.Bean is ending its beloved lifetime return policy — Quartz

I'm at odds with this. First off.... I have some of their gear. The first fly rod I bought starting out more than 30 years ago was an LL Bean Combo. I still have the rod and reel and use it regularly. Over the years, i've bought waders, a waterproof sling pack and a reel all because I knew their quality was good and they stood behind their products. I never had to put the return policy to the test.

Over the past 5 years returns totaled $250 million dollars. Returns from "abuse" of the policy had doubled to 15%. This is unfortunate that people had started taken the policy for advantage and pushed the boundaries at an increasing clip. This is how the policy shift was framed at least.

I've stated numerous times that LL Bean fly fishing offerings had significantly changed. Their business was starting to get hurt from other influences... competition, high prices, poor sales, poorer quality, constricted offerings, out-dated stylings, lack of innovation. The combination of these forces prompted this move in my estimation.

Regardless...it's a shame what's happened to a once great brand.

ejsell

Reaction score
I didn't read the article you posted but the one I did read talked about the outright abuse they were seeing. The guarantee was never a lifetime guarantee, it was a lifetime "satisfaction" guarantee. People were returning their dead relatives entire wardrobes and picking stuff up second hand just to return it.

I also have mixed feeling as LLBean has been my primary pick for clothing for 20 years and rods since I started fly fishing a few years ago. But I can't recall returning any clothing outside of a year and from what I read they will still except returns past the year mark for "manufacturers defects" which should cover most of my gear.

It would be nice if they offered extended no fault on some gear like waders, rods or their duck boots. I'm not sure how a store clerk at the small shop in Columbus Ohio is going to be able to tell the leaky 2 year old wader is the result of a manufacturers defect. Hopefully they stay the same great customer oriented company they have always been and I'll remain a loyal customer as long as they do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

chechem

Reaction score
FYI:
"Now, customers who wish to return an item for a refund have one year to do so, according to the company’s updated policy. After a year, L.L.Bean will still take returns for items that are defective because of the materials or craftsmanship. But any refund or exchange also now requires a proof of purchase. L.L.Bean should have information on file for customers who bought from it directly and provided their information at the time. For those who bought from other retailers, L.L.Bean requires a physical receipt..."

englishspringer

Reaction score
I support the change by LL Bean. My family has bought LL Bean stuff for years and taken advantage of the return policy, the heart of which remains with this change.

When I got into fly fishing 5 years ago I bought waders and boots. The boots were great, zero complaints, used them three years, I still have them as backups. The waders (kennebec) were a different story. I’m on my third pair so I returned them twice due to extensive leaking. I used aqua seal multiple times to try and fix issues but that wasn’t enough. The last return will be the last as I think 5 years is the far end of expected use out of waders.

By the way since I bought everything on credit card when I returned them they found them in their system so no receipt was necessary. I hope that approach still works with the change.

Dave

denver1911

Reaction score
I do not understand the fascination some have with a lifetime return policy.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
I sent a reel in for repair last week. Interested to see how it pans-out.

Sorry to hear of the abuse but, I'll remain a loyal customer. They've always produced products I've been happy with & stood behind them when we've had an issue. Hopefully, they'll see a way to continue this.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Social media spread the word about Bean's liberal return policy and the number of people taking advantage (not the legitimate customer) got out of hand.
There was an episode on NPR about LLBean's liberal return policy about a year ago. I found it interesting with all the examples they were exposing, I remember one where a guy bought a flannel shirt ten years ago and it finally wore out so he took it in and they gave him a new shirt. That is just abusing the system in my mind, I'm glad they finally made a change in their return policy and I still plan to be a loyal customer.

r reese

Reaction score
Was in retail clothing for 31 years. owned my own store. It is a problem that is abused. We know whats right and wrong. Do are selves a favor and not take advantage of of the retailers. Some day we wont be able to afford anything will get junk or not even have a place to shop.

Redbrook

Reaction score
LL Bean has been and remains an excellent retailer. Having worked with them as a vender they are honest and fair to deal with. This change is long over due and can hardly be called unfair on any level. This is not due to a change in company philosophy but a response to a group of people who will exploit any advantage they can find for their own gain. In short they find a legal way to steal. This abuse is what has forced the policy change.

spm

Reaction score
Was in retail clothing for 31 years. owned my own store. It is a problem that is abused. We know whats right and wrong. Do are selves a favor and not take advantage of of the retailers. Some day we wont be able to afford anything will get junk or not even have a place to shop.
Agreed. I was also in retail apparel for most of my life. I seem to remember a forum posting, may or may not have been on this one, where a member almost boastfully stated that he would regularly purchase from L.L. Bean and return it after it wore out. I remember at the time being ashamed that a member of my own sport/forum would be that deceitful. It is sad that they were forced into this.

I will continue to purchase from L.L. Bean and support their products.

Thanks,
steve

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I seem to remember a forum posting, may or may not have been on this one, where a member almost boastfully stated that he would regularly purchase from L.L. Bean and return it after it wore out.

Thanks,
steve
I have read the same on forums more than once. I have heard a few friends and relatives of mine brag they picked up used Sears Craftsman tools at yard sales, then leveraged their $5 into $150 in brand new tools. They were indeed boasting. It might have something to with why K-Mart acquired Sears from sure bankruptcy and Craftsman hand tools are now mediocre at best.

The only thing I own from LL Bean that is remotely expensive is my waders. They were under $200. After about 5 years of mostly light use they developed a small leak on a knee seam. I admit I printed off a product return form. I'm sure they would have sent my a brand new pair. Something told me they didn't really owe me a new pair so a few months later I threw the return form in the trash. I'll buy some seam sealer and deal with it. I am either foolish or I still have a conscience. I'd like to believe it is the latter.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have read the same on forums more than once. I have heard a few friends and relatives of mine brag they picked up used Sears Craftsman tools at yard sales, then leveraged their $5 into $150 in brand new tools. They were indeed boasting. It might have something to with why K-Mart acquired Sears from sure bankruptcy and Craftsman hand tools are now mediocre at best.

The only thing I own from LL Bean that is remotely expensive is my waders. They were under $200. After about 5 years of mostly light use they developed a small leak on a knee seam. I admit I printed off a product return form. I'm sure they would have sent my a brand new pair. Something told me they didn't really owe me a new pair so a few months later I threw the return form in the trash. I'll buy some seam sealer and deal with it. I am either foolish or I still have a conscience. I'd like to believe it is the latter.
Dewayne: Your a good man, I'm fortunate enough to know you and be able to call you my friend!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I still have one of the sleeping bags that my parents bought at Beans when on their honeymoon in 1950, but the zipper is all messed up.
I guess this means that I missed my chance to trade it in :eek:hwell:

westcoast

Reaction score
FYI:
"Now, customers who wish to return an item for a refund have one year to do so, according to the company’s updated policy. After a year, L.L.Bean will still take returns for items that are defective because of the materials or craftsmanship. But any refund or exchange also now requires a proof of purchase. L.L.Bean should have information on file for customers who bought from it directly and provided their information at the time. For those who bought from other retailers, L.L.Bean requires a physical receipt..."
This is the same type of policy that Eddie Bauer has. They have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee, personaly, I have returned a jacket after 6 years of use, as it stopped being waterproof, they discounted the jacket return based on it's age, I basically received about 60% of it's original purchase price and then bought a "new" top of the line Eddie Bauer Jacket that I hope will last till the end of time. Great policy in my mind and have $thousands invested in the Brand. I doubt very much the LL Bean loss estimates as they probably have their stuff made overseas for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:

lake flyer

Reaction score
I always appreciated their warranty and I have purchased quite a few things from LLB. I think their quality justifies their price point and to this day have never had a reason to use their warranty. My wife still occasionally uses a pair of neoprene waders that must be going on twenty years old, no leaks yet, well beyond reasonable expectations. I also would not buy anything used/second hand, and expect any company to stand by their original warranty. They profited "$0" from the second sale so why should anyone expect them to honor the warranty? I will continue to buy from LLBean, and hope they can stay in business for many for many more years.

looper34

Reaction score
I also remember the thread on this site where people gleefully bragged about getting over on LLB on various items and specifically waders that were older than my teenage daughters and never really understood why someone would do that. Out of the scores of things I've purchased from them over the years, from fly fishing gear, waders, camping items and clothing, the only things I ever returned because I was "unsatisfied" was a pair of pants that didn't hold up well after being washed and a belt that was to small and went back the day I received after it. I appreciated the fact that they were both returned without issue. I've worn out plenty of items after very satisfied use and never thought to benefit buy returning them. It's a shame that people blatently took advantage of them but their brand is still quality in my book and I'll continue to buy from them.

denver1911

Reaction score
Nobody was getting anything over on LLB. They asked for things to be sent back if the user wasn't satisfied regardless of when or how it was originally purchased. They made a business decision that the additional profit associated with increased sales due to the lifetime return policy would outweigh the losses from those returns. Apparently they have now decided that it is no longer a good business decision. I remember a Hodgdon waders advertisement where a guy sends them a letter and his old, old, old waders stating how satisfied he was with their product because it took them as long as it did to fail. He wasn't asking for anything. They wrote back apologizing for the product failure and included a new pair of waders. Apparently Hodgdon, with a similar lifetime satisfaction policy, did not see this as abuse. I'd guess LLB recognized that is was probable that people would send old, worn out, abused, and second-hand gear in exchange for new. They just figured that the cost of honoring their policy would be offset by increased profits.