Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hot Creek, CA - Restoration - It's going to take awhile...

...and, for those who are unfamiliar with Hot Creek, for as long as I can remember it has been zero limit and barbless only. It's present woes are not from over fishing.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by satyr View Post
    Just for the record, there are no native trout in Hot Creek.
    There was a fly fishing 'convention' held at one of our local fly shops last year that talked about this, and there was a guy sitting up in front who was of the "I don't catch stocked trout, I only fish for natives" club, and it was hilarious seeing his face when the presenter mentioned that the fish in Hot Creek were stockers.

Again, if the issue is with the creek itself, throwing in supplemental stocks is similar to putting a band aid on a compound fracture and expecting it to heal.

3. Likes yikes liked this post

Both hot creek and the owens need so work on management. there have many shanges i have seen over the 40 years that I have been fishing there. First off if i am there and i never se a fishh or catch a fish it is still a amazing day to be there.

Maybe shut down the fishing for a year to allow it recover. Or havve a set number of anglers. Hot creek is beautiful and an amazing location. Hot creek was world class, it still holds that reputation but it is a long way from that now a days.

MY goal is explore the places of my youth and make the back country trips out of convict, rock creek and such for multiple days. there is so much amazing water out of that valley that can be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    What I'm confused about is this statistic:

"A 2007 survey by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife counted 12,000 fish per mile one of the highest densities of wild trout in California. A follow-up in 2016 indicated the number had plummeted by a staggering 92 percent."

So, are they stocking and finding out the reason WHY this has plummeted? Being a catch and release only stream, angler pressure is probably not a reason why?

It almost seems like they are now just stocking the creek every year and calling it a day. I really hope the bulk of the study is finding out why they are no longer spawning naturally, and why the population has plummeted that amount.
    Drought, drought, drought.
    When a stream goes down to a trickle every summer and water temps get over 70, plus no flushing flow to clean up the gravel beds for spawning, it takes a huge toll. We went through this for a solid 7+ years up here, and really weren't relieved till last year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by acorad View Post
    ...and, for those who are unfamiliar with Hot Creek, for as long as I can remember it has been zero limit and barbless only. It's present woes are not from over fishing.

Andy
    Where I agree that woes are not caused by over fishing but combine it with all the other issues it has affected the health of the river system.

I remember when there were hundreds of head of cattle that roamed in and around Hot Creek. The nice thing about that was that they ate the nettles. Of course that is also the bad thing about the cattle. However, the fishing was just about as good then as it ever was so wading is not likely to cause Hot Creek any trouble. I do support the no wading rule though just based on the number of people that fish there. If everyone was wading they would put all the fish down. Instead, with no one wading, I can walk in right as someone else leaves a section and catch fish. Thank god most of the people that fish there aren't very good at it.

It will be interesting to see how the fish population holds up now that there is a decent flow again. Here's hoping next year is wetter than this one was!

Blog Entries

The no wading rule is about not wrecking the bug ecosystem, not about not putting fish down.....
    The whole east side is about easy fish, so they can sell rooms and food and fishing gear, to folks who fish once a year, maybe twice. Most of these folks would prefer a drive-by fish....roll down the window and stick one. Which is why the Hot has been a favorite of Socal. Close and easy...
    Most fishers have no idea what is lost or what is gained, when the "wild" fish go away.......they just want a fish.....wild, native, stocked...who cares? Alpers are big and dumb....perfect for the masses.
    I gave up on the Hot back in the 80s.....even then I knew they were neither native or wild....with a hatchery on the head water....
    Used to be just old guys in trucks.....(and a couple hippies) and the lot was mostly empty, weekdays.....it broke my heart....to see it go away.
    A POX on golf courses.............root rot, mildew and cut worms.
    Stop pumping water, and set it at 60 anglers per day and it would come back on its own....
    I have yet to see a rehab that is close, let alone as good as the way it was.....don't mess it up from the beginning is the lesson.

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 05-08-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12