Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Dry Flies Floating On Air

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Dry Flies Floating On Air

This is a brilliant idea and one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments! Well worth a look if you are a fly tier.

Default Re: Dry Flies Floating On Air

I heard a rumor that Thingamabobber might come out with a Thingamabody. Similar idea. Looks great!

3. Default Re: Dry Flies Floating On Air

Quote Originally Posted by roryseiter View Post
    I heard a rumor that Thingamabobber might come out with a Thingamabody. Similar idea. Looks great!
    They should. They no longer have a monopoly on it, Idylewilde also sells a sindicator, so everyone who buys idylwilde flies can have sindicators thrown in.

Doesn't sound like much to the average consumer but to a fly shop eliminating a source they have to buy from saves them time.

4. Default Re: Dry Flies Floating On Air

Seeing this fly made me think of Gary LaFontaine's Air Head pattern. A pattern that uses a lot of clear packing foam to make it a nearly unsinkable fly.

5. Default Re: Dry Flies Floating On Air

Some flies tied using this principle Attachment 9157Salmon Fly 3.jpgwonder4.jpgRated-X Damsel+1.jpgHybrid Imitator Silhouette.jpg

To see more follow this link Tying Unsinkable Dry Flies
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by unsinkable; 01-04-2018 at 11:56 AM.

6. Likes dennyk liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Dry Flies Floating On Air

This is a brilliant idea and one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments! Well worth a look if you are a fly tier.

The link does not work for me. It goes back to the forum.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

8. Default Re: Dry Flies Floating On Air

Sorry about that I could not get it to work either - here is the original article. More info if you are interested at Tying Unsinkable Dry Flies

Riding On Air

Recently West Water Products home of the Thingamabobber located in Pleasant Grove, Utah came out with a new product they call the Thingamabody. This product is simply a small piece of enclosed tubing that allows a fly tier to attach an air bubble to a hook making a fly virtually unsinkable. This product is rather costly, but what if there was a way to accomplish the same methodology with a more inexpensive product? Just think a fly riding on air.

With this thought in mind several years ago I stumbled onto such a concept while using Heat Shrink to repair an electrical cord that had been damaged. The idea was simple just take a small section of Heat Shrink and use a low wattage soldering iron to reduce the size of the ends and then crimp, plug, or seal by crimping the ends Walla, you have an unsinkable air bubble to attach to a hook.

2_Picture.jpg

Since I tied the first Heat Shrink fly, I have found better Heat Shrink materials and developed tying techniques that have allowed me to produce unsinkable Heat Shrink flies that look and act on the water very much like the natural insects. This material and methods allow a fly tier to modify the patterns he or she ties in such a way that they can look like traditional flies or something entirely different. By different we mean more life-like because there is no longer a need to provide lots of foams, hair or hackle to achieve floatation and maintain buoyancy (see photo for examples).

Could this method of fly tying have the ability to revolutionize how dry flies are tied? Possibly, because Heat Shrink tubing allows a tier to attach an air bubble applied to the hook which then makes the fly unsinkable. This air bubble provides unsurpassed floatation in any type of water, and if properly tied makes a fly that has the characteristics of real insects. We created a blog (Tying Unsinkable Dry Flies) to keep tiers informed of new and different techniques as well as products that have been found to be useful in tying flies using Heat Shrink to make them ride on air.

I have some problems with using the concept in the fly below. Any stiff material that is tied to the hook can prevent the trout from taking the fly. For example, how does the fly below get small enough to fit into the fish's mouth so the hook the fish will be hooked. I think the rising fish will push the fly way as it tries to take the fly in.

Secondly, I believe the fly is also aerodynamically unstable and will helicopter and be uncastable. Any fly must be symmetrical enough to be cast. I don't believe this fly is designed to be actually fished. Notice that the wings in the fly are actually point in the wrong way for casting. The fly body could have been have been tied with the hook pointing in the opposite direction and if the tier had test casted the fly, the problem would have revealed itself. Therefore, I suspect the tier never intended some of his creations like the one below to be actually fishable.

Another problem is when the smaller versions of the fly design are taken, will the air capsules will hold up to being pinched with a hemostat when removing the fly from the fish or will they rupture?

Finally, are the flies significantly better than using a proven material like closed cell foam? It is an interesting concept but will the flies have a fishable advantage that can compete with current methods? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by unsinkable View Post
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

10. Likes Walter1023 liked this post
  11. Default Re: Dry Flies Floating On Air

All good points - I can tell you that I fish allot from my drift boat so casting great distances is not a concern. I do fish all the patterns I make and all seem to perform in a satisfactory manner. As for punctures not a problem and they do float as well, if not better, than foam. Combining heat shrink with air inside and foam makes a deadly combination like my Wonder Bug (Tying Unsinkable Dry Flies: Wonder Bug). This is my go to fly when all else fails and it seldom lets me down. I think sometimes it is the silhouette a fly presents on the water that makes the difference between a take and no take like another deadly unsinkable my hybrid imitator (Tying Unsinkable Dry Flies: Hybrid Imitator).