Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Keeping 'bittie bugs' at bay; what works best?

Tried just about everything Fred, nothing works on me for very long. No longer wear shorts or short sleeve shirts, I cover up and check myself over thoroughly when I get home, had blood poisoning too many times from infected bites to take any more chances and we don't get too many of the vicious beasts you have in the US. Still been driven off the water by the blighters many times, I'm a magnet for every biting bug on gods earth.
    Last edited by bumble54; 07-20-2018 at 01:37 AM.

2. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

REI guys, all hard core out door stuff:

REI Jungle Juice Owner Review by Ray Estrella - Backpackgeartest.org

Back to 'Deet.'
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Just saw Simms has a line of insect repellant clothing. I'll be checking them out.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by jrod88 View Post
    Just saw Simms has a line of insect repellant clothing. I'll be checking them out.
    Problem with this type of clothing is your laundry basket. Each washing removes a lot of the 'repellent;' few of these and all you have is a pricie shirt.
    fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

6. Likes bumble54 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Problem with this type of clothing is your laundry basket. Each washing removes a lot of the 'repellent;' few of these and all you have is a pricie shirt.
    fae
    Simms is saying their process lasts 70 washes. That's pretty good. I wash my uniforms every two wears unless I'm in the field and rotate 4 uniforms and still experience insect free wear with over 1 year old uniforms.

I bought an repellent-impregnated shirt when I travelled a few years back. Fair to say it worked initially - the mozzies just bit me through my trousers instead!
    As Fred says, the repellent washes out but you can recharge by soaking the shirt in a solution (water + DEET). I must say, Simms' ''70 washes'' sounds extremely good if true and straight forward, but may involve hand washing/cold water/no soaps. I'd check thoroughly first as I'm sure it isn't cheap to begin with.

To my knowledge deet and water do not mix.

The active ingredient in these shirts is probably permethrin.

"he Insect Shield process is designed to prevent loss of the active ingredient Permethrin outside the system, and once applied, it is so tightly bound to fabric fibers that garments retain full effective repellency through 70 launderings."

BugsAway - Insect, Tick, Mosquito Repellent Permethrin Clothing | ExOfficio

Permethrin Treated Clothing Mosquito Bites - Consumer Reports
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12