Keeping 'bittie bugs' at bay; what works best?

silver creek

Reaction score
I use a picaridin spray and have since picaridin was approved for use in the USA.

Deet melts plastic fly lines leaves a greasy residue.

Picaridin has no residual greasiness and will not affect fly lines or any other piece of equipment. Cutter was the first to make a picaridin but now the biggest sellers are the Repel and Sawyer brands. The Repel is 15% picaridin spray and the Sawyer is 20% picaridin spray.

Picaridin vs DEET: Which Is the Best Insect Repellent? - Appalachian Mountain Club

Insect Repellent Guide: Deet vs. Picardin - REI Expert Advice

JoJer

Reaction score
I haven't used Cutter in many years. It didn't seem to work for me. I don't particularly like the smell, taste, feel of Deep Woods Off, but it does work. I would feel very vulnerable to ticks in many of the places I hunt and fish with out a liberal dose of Off. I prefer to wash it off before bed if I'm camping. I also get good effect by spraying my neckerchief and wearing it tied around my neck.

jrod88

Reaction score
Ever since the Army issued Permethrin uniforms, I've used it on my own clothing and either Deep Woods or this Citronella spray I can't remember the name of, was recommended by the Jamaicans on island. The citronella spray is the only thing that seems to work on biting gnats/midges/no see ums.

madison320

Reaction score
I use a picaridin spray and have since picaridin was approved for use in the USA.
I agree, I just switched to picaridin from lemon eucalyptus. So far it seems even more effective than DEET and it's definitely easier on your skin. And I've heard it's more effective than DEET on ticks.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My preference is the screened in porch on Dillon's cabin-tent. We have a batterie powered insect zapper in there too. I have never enjoyed using diethyltoluamide, however, a soaking wet early season as we had in Idaho and Montana this past month made mosquitoes our most dominant hatch. DEET works, I use the 3M Ultrathon cream, same as the military issue stuff in a civilian colored tube.

W17 259 Henry’s Fork Camp s.jpg

Last edited:

bonefish41

Reaction score
The contemporary...Dr Livingston,I presume...yes I enjoy Sherry but prefer Port

bumble54

Reaction score
Tried just about everything Fred, nothing works on me for very long. No longer wear shorts or short sleeve shirts, I cover up and check myself over thoroughly when I get home, had blood poisoning too many times from infected bites to take any more chances and we don't get too many of the vicious beasts you have in the US. Still been driven off the water by the blighters many times, I'm a magnet for every biting bug on gods earth.

Last edited:

jrod88

Reaction score
Just saw Simms has a line of insect repellant clothing. I'll be checking them out.

jrod88

Reaction score
Problem with this type of clothing is your laundry basket. Each washing removes a lot of the 'repellent;' few of these and all you have is a pricie shirt.:wacko:
fae
Simms is saying their process lasts 70 washes. That's pretty good. I wash my uniforms every two wears unless I'm in the field and rotate 4 uniforms and still experience insect free wear with over 1 year old uniforms.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
I bought an repellent-impregnated shirt when I travelled a few years back. Fair to say it worked initially - the mozzies just bit me through my trousers instead!
As Fred says, the repellent washes out but you can recharge by soaking the shirt in a solution (water + DEET). I must say, Simms' ''70 washes'' sounds extremely good if true and straight forward, but may involve hand washing/cold water/no soaps. I'd check thoroughly first as I'm sure it isn't cheap to begin with.

silver creek

Reaction score