The Davy Knot

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score

Source: GAIA
[h=2]How to tie the Davy knot[/h]The Davy knot was created by Davy Wotton and boast an extreamly high breaking strength. It is used for tying the fly onto the leader and it is much smaller than most other knots so it does not impede the action of the fly as it swims in the water. Furthermore, there is less waste with a Davy knot, unlike a blood knot, for instance, because with practice the tag can be kept very short. This provides a benefit with droppers lasting longer due to less wastage when flies are frequently changed.

Illustrations supplied by John Symonds*
If you would like a GAIA Instructor to help you put theory into practice, use Find An Instructor on our website to get in touch and have a chat about your requirements.

Source Article...

MarsB

Reaction score
I have been using the Davy knot almost exclusively for the past 2 months to tie flys on tippet, and have been very pleased with the results.

plecain

Reaction score
I use the double Davy Knot!
For me it depends on the tippet.

For mono I use the Davy. For fluorocarbon the Double Davy. I had too many slip failures with the single on fluoro.

I've used it enough now that I can tie it in the dark or using my forceps.

dennyk

Reaction score
For me the Davy knot is wonderful! Having arthritis in my hands it's one of the easiest knots to manipulate even for my fingers!

Denny

trs

Reaction score
Looks like a good choice, I think I'll start using it. Always like to try something new. Postings like this are why I love this forum, Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new. I live somewhat off the beaten path for fly fishing and this forum is my main source for information it never disappoints.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I don’t use either of the Davy knots, but probably should.

For those looking to start, the Orvis web site (howtoflyfish.com) has a really good instructional video. It’s under the fly tying videos tab and then with the tapes on tying techniques.

Don

myt1

Reaction score
I caught a 22 inch plus Brown Trout on a fly tied with a Davy Knot.

I'm curious if there are actual measurements that show a double Davy is stronger than a single Davy.

Sometimes adding more line to a knot actually weakens it. I've wondered the same thing about a surgeon's knot and a double surgeon's knot as well.

jonbo

Reaction score
It's the Double Davy for me. I can tie that thing with 3/4 inch of tag end of tippet to waste, and very securely. I had slippage problems with the Davy, though it's probably even simpler to tie.

myt1

Reaction score
It's the Double Davy for me. I can tie that thing with 3/4 inch of tag end of tippet to waste, and very securely. I had slippage problems with the Davy, though it's probably even simpler to tie.
Good point, the double Davy might not be stronger per se, but I can see how it might have less slippage.

silver creek

Reaction score
The Orvis knot for me.

It wastes very little mono since the tag end can be made very short relative to other knots. So it is strong knot that also preserves the length of the tippet.

Knot strength tests can vary due to the brand of mono material tested; but in general in this test and in the 2012 Tippet shootout the Orvis Knot out performed the Davy Knot.

Orvis vs Davy:

The Davy Knot: Is This The Quickest & Strongest Fishing Knot?

Orvis vs Double Davy:

Double Davy Knot: Video Tutorial and Strength Test

Palomar is the strongest mono to hook BUT it is a poor knot for flies because a double loop of mono must be threaded through the hook eye:

Best Fishing Knot for Leader to Hook Connection [Snug Style] >> Salt Strong Fishing

"Although the Palomar ended up being the strongest in this contest, the Orvis Knot is still my favorite for this category because*its tag points down towards the hook lure allowing for less snags in addition to the fact that it’s easier to tie (especially if using artificial lures) while only having a slightly lighter breaking strength."

Complete list of knot tests:

The Best Fishing Knots Of All Time [Ranked Strongest To Weakest]

spm

Reaction score
I use the Davy knot, when my fingers allow it and I can see the tippet. I like it because there is less tippet waste. The double-Davy eludes me.

Thanks,
steve

photoguy

Reaction score

Illustrations supplied by John Symonds*
If you would like a GAIA Instructor to help you put theory into practice, use Find An Instructor on our website to get in touch and have a chat about your requirements.
Is it my dyslexia or is there something unexplained that's happening between frame 2 and 3? Frame 2 shows the tag end coming up through the hook eye and that seems reversed in frame 3. Unless they rotated the hook(?), but there's no mention of that.
I typically tie the knot by running the tag end down through the eye before looping it over itself from the 'back'. Not that it really matters I suppose, probably many ways to skin the cat, I just found the illustration a little confusing in that regard for someone learning the knot.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Is it my dyslexia or is there something unexplained that's happening between frame 2 and 3? Frame 2 shows the tag end coming up through the hook eye and that seems reversed in frame 3. Unless they rotated the hook(?), but there's no mention of that.
I typically tie the knot by running the tag end down through the eye before looping it over itself from the 'back'. Not that it really matters I suppose, probably many ways to skin the cat, I just found the illustration a little confusing in that regard for someone learning the knot.
I saw that too but figured the hook was turned down after threading the line.