Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota and Bozeman, Montana

Default Re: Wyoming bear attack

What is interesting about this case is the elk was “untouched” when they found it. The guide checked for signs of bear (not sure how) before starting to dress/quarter it. He had the four quarters removed and was removing the head when the sow attacked, on a full run. Biologists who examed the bear after it was shot determined it had been sprayed with bear spray, but likely during the attack, not before. It is unfortunate the guide didn’t have both the bear spray and the gun on his hip instead of the spray on his hip and the gun in a back pack. Or perhaps he could have showed the client how to use the gun. Just and unusual and very unfortunate case. My wife and I fish in grizzly country a lot. This just underscores how very unpredictable these animals are. Maybe that’s why they’re referr d to as “wild”.

2. Likes littledavid123, mcnerney, mka liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by 100954 View Post
    This just underscores how very unpredictable these animals are. Maybe that’s why they’re referr d to as “wild”.
    Are you speaking of the bear or the human? Regarding the bear, they'll typically be looking for the dead elk as a dinner item should they catch a whiff of it. Just because they say the carcass was "untouched" doesn't mean there ain't a bruin or two in route to it at any given time.

Bears behave like bears, it's humans behaving carelessly in bear country that causes the problems. Our standard practices aren't necessarily smart practices when dealing with large lumps of protein in carnivore country, either.

If going back the next day for butchering and packing-out, it might be a good idea to establish more of a protective perimeter than good karma and a pistol or two. Given the nature of modern communications, perhaps they should have a pack-out crew waiting on hand to get the job done before it sits overnight advertising easy meat for bears. Y'know...avoid the whole calamitous situation altogether if possible.
    Last edited by knotjoe; 09-23-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: they->there

4. Likes stenacron, Bigfly, mcnerney liked this post

sad story all around

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Of course it is regrettable any time a human life is lost needlessly, but what was the point in killing the "offending" bears? Grizzlies and even brown and black bears are known to kill humans if they feel threatened or when they are surprised by stumbling across humans, or even sometimes when they are hungry. Unless we exterminate all bears (which I am not recommending) the risk is still there. What did they accomplish by killing the bear? The wilderness in the area is no more safe than it was prior to. The bears are not going to learn some sort of moral lesson or be deterred by this killing. What a juvenile and emotional (albeit typical) response to grief this was. Why not mourn and honor the dead and let it be a reminder to us all that we must live by their rules when in the wilderness? Why the needless killing?

8. Default Re: Wyoming bear attack

Quote Originally Posted by LandoLando View Post
    Of course it is regrettable any time a human life is lost needlessly, but what was the point in killing the "offending" bears? Grizzlies and even brown and black bears are known to kill humans if they feel threatened or when they are surprised by stumbling across humans, or even sometimes when they are hungry. Unless we exterminate all bears (which I am not recommending) the risk is still there. What did they accomplish by killing the bear? The wilderness in the area is no more safe than it was prior to. The bears are not going to learn some sort of moral lesson or be deterred by this killing. What a juvenile and emotional (albeit typical) response to grief this was. Why not mourn and honor the dead and let it be a reminder to us all that we must live by their rules when in the wilderness? Why the needless killing?
    Totally agree! If the bear would have wondered into town, or onto a ranch or something like that and then killed someone, then i can see the issue. But, these people were in the bears territory and the bear did NOT act out of character. Just a bear being a bear way out in the middle of no-where Wyoming, then to be hunted down and killed... Humans are so out-of-touch, good lord.

I grew up in Wyoming, about 2-3 hours from where this happened and I have nothing but respect for the Animals, and I am constantly losing respect for humans as this type of BS just makes my blood boil.

I'm a city slicker, so I don't have extensive life experience with bears (albeit a few close encounters).
    But as it was explained to me, once a bear has attacked a human, there is increased possibility that they may do it again, and may teach their young to do it.

Please correct me if that is not the explanation usually given.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123