Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wyoming bear attack

I know there are some folks on this forum that live in or frequent this area. I saw this article, and thought it would be a good thing to post here. This is a tragedy, particularly for the family, the man killed was a father of 5.
    Grizzlies suspected of killing guide are dead | Environmental | jhnewsandguide.com

Default Re: Wyoming bear attack

I heard about this on the news the other day, very sad. I feel there is more info to follow and only the hunter knows what really happened.

[Chubon] "told authorities that he was unable to fire a shot from a handgun he retrieved during the attack, but he threw the firearm to Uptain before departing the scene."

WHAT?

3. Likes peaks2creeks liked this post

Tough situation, hard to know what happened.

Blog Entries

Here is the report from Wyoming Game and Fish. They found that the guide had deployed his bear spray, so this is another incident in the last two years where bear spray did not stop a bear attack and unfortunately this one ended tragically:

Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Wyoming Game and Fish Department finalizing investigation after hunting guide killed by grizzly bear
    Larry

6. Thanks clsmith131 thanked for this post
    Likes myt1 liked this post

I'm with you all about not really knowing what happened. But this part really gets me upset.

“We killed two grizzly bears up there a little bit ago, and we have every reason to believe they are the offending bears,” Wyoming Game and Fish Department Jackson Regional Supervisor Brad Hovinga said around 10:45 a.m. Sunday. “They fit the description.”

They killed two grizzlies because they had "every reason to BELIEVE they were the offending bears? What gave it away? Brown colored, hairy, what? No tranquilizing to do proper DNA search of the victim. That's what they do here when a black bear kills someone to make sure that it IS the right animal.

These men who killed the bears killed them on suspicion, no proof at that time. Immature actions on their part. If the proof comes in later that the bears killed did the horrible act, ok, justice served, but justice was done in the wrong manner.

I feel sorry for the guide, I really do, and my heart bleeds for his family. It's a horrible thing for that to happen. But I'm wondering if there's the possibility that the one's who killed the bears found an opportunity to kill a few "possibly innocent" bears and justified their means of doing so by saying that they believed that they were the offending bears.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I really don't like how they came to their conclusion.

But so that all understand, I do believe that if a wild animal kills a human, with solid proof that it was that animal, it should be killed.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

8. Likes myt1, rfb700 liked this post

As much as I approve of the grizzlies expanding territory it saddens me to know a human life was lost. This should be foretelling to everyone who enjoys the outdoors that we must up our preparedness for such encounters. Now I need to figure out how to attach the bear spray to my pistol, first click bear spray and second click boom.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

10. Default Re: Wyoming bear attack

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    As much as I approve of the grizzlies expanding territory it saddens me to know a human life was lost. This should be foretelling to everyone who enjoys the outdoors that we must up our preparedness for such encounters. Now I need to figure out how to attach the bear spray to my pistol, first click bear spray and second click boom.

Dave
    This is a horrible idea. I think we've all gone through an attack scenario in our head, and thought about what we would do, but all that fantasy goes right out the window when it happens. Think about your plan, then watch this:

11. Likes brownbass, rangerrich99 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by scotty macfly View Post
    I'm with you all about not really knowing what happened. But this part really gets me upset.

“We killed two grizzly bears up there a little bit ago, and we have every reason to believe they are the offending bears,” Wyoming Game and Fish Department Jackson Regional Supervisor Brad Hovinga said around 10:45 a.m. Sunday. “They fit the description.”

They killed two grizzlies because they had "every reason to BELIEVE they were the offending bears? What gave it away? Brown colored, hairy, what? No tranquilizing to do proper DNA search of the victim. That's what they do here when a black bear kills someone to make sure that it IS the right animal.

These men who killed the bears killed them on suspicion, no proof at that time. Immature actions on their part. If the proof comes in later that the bears killed did the horrible act, ok, justice served, but justice was done in the wrong manner.

I feel sorry for the guide, I really do, and my heart bleeds for his family. It's a horrible thing for that to happen. But I'm wondering if there's the possibility that the one's who killed the bears found an opportunity to kill a few "possibly innocent" bears and justified their means of doing so by saying that they believed that they were the offending bears.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I really don't like how they came to their conclusion.

But so that all understand, I do believe that if a wild animal kills a human, with solid proof that it was that animal, it should be killed.
    This seems a little ridiculous. This isn't a court of law and grizzlies aren't subjected to our laws. I don't know if WY or anyone has the resources to tranq a grizzly in the wild and perform DNA tests (days or weeks?) and then revisit that bear and kill it if it's 'guilty'. We all know why these bears are killed, and waiting for a DNA test in my opinion is just unnecessary waiting and putting other people at risk. If it's ok and 'natural' or 'instinctive' for wild grizzlies to kill us while defending food or their young (even though we aren't usually threats to their food or young) then it's certainly ok for us to preemptively protect ourselves from problematic grizzlies even if it's on suspicion.

13. Likes Walter1023 liked this post
    Blog Entries

For those that question whether WY and & Fish killed the correct bears, please refer to and read the article posted by Larry in thread post #4. In short, they trapped and killed the offending bears.

My condolences to the family.

Side note: Having a couple friends that are professional bear hunting guides in AK, who were raised by professional AK bear hunting guides, I've heard many times about the inherent risks of entering/living in grizzly territory. I've also been well-informed about how pepper spray is not a panacea for stopping bear attacks; that it has its place, but the results aren't guaranteed.

Which is why those gentlemen, who possess among them over a century of experience living/working in bear country, with several hundred successful hunts, and several dozen risky encounters with bears, get my undivided attention when they discuss bear behavior, and what a person needs to know and have when entering their world.

To wit: the spray is for when you have time to consider your options; i.e., the bear is question isn't in charge mode. The gun is for when there isn't time to consider using the spray. Oh, and the gun isn't a magic pill either; if you're a lousy/unlucky shot, or in your backpack instead of on your hip/chest, you're going to be just as dead as if you were unarmed.

Also, take note of the end of the Meat Eater video: the host took several seconds to get his gun ready to shoot, which if that bear had been really charging instead of mock, he probably would've been mauled/killed. The guide, on the other hand, got a round in the chamber and mounted to his shoulder is less than 2 seconds. Probably closer to one second. As my friends have said, in bear country it pays to train beforehand, make sure you can make your weapon ready in the shortest time possible, and if there are problems with your rig, fix them before heading into the mountains. And carry your bear spray opposite your sidearm; it helps to balance the weight on your belt.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Quote Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
    This is a horrible idea. I think we've all gone through an attack scenario in our head, and thought about what we would do, but all that fantasy goes right out the window when it happens. Think about your plan, then watch this:

If a pistol of significant caliber was developed to include a good shot of bear spray first and with the second trigger pull begin firing lead plus a holster designed to carry said weapon then I would buy one in a heartbeat. There is only one pat answer for such an encounter and that is to not panic. Even within the video the client was fighting his reflex to run as witnessed by his backing up quickly and almost tripping over a backpack. The point is no one knows how they will react until the moment of truth.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast