IGFA launches world record iPhone app

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: IGFA launches world record iPhone app

So do we have any World Record holders in our midst?? Let us know if you are a current or past holder or even what record you would like to break?

Me? - Well of course the Largemouth record would be nice financially but I'd actually like to break a more local record like the Corbina or Calico Bass from my old home of SoCal. How about you?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul: That looks to be a pretty interesting app to have! For me when I lived in Alaska I always wanted to break the King Salmon record, but unfortunately it never happened, but was fun trying.

Larry

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a cast of the record king in Soldotna on my one and sadly only visit to Alaska to date - HUGE!!!
We were there for silver season and staying on the Kenai. We had bought some cheap spin gear to floatfish egss, etc and one evening one of our group hooked a massive king. We knew it was big but had not idea how big until after an hour or so it breached its head and shoulders out of the water. The collective "oh my god" was quite funny. Had to be 40lb+ at least. Anyway, had it near the net once or twice but it was always in control really and kept kiting back out into the current. After about 2 hours it just decided to turn and head downstream. We could only watch as it spooled him in one long run. Can't wait to get back sometime!

roryseiter

Reaction score
The thought of catching any kind of fish in the necessary size range to be close to a world record boggles my mind. I would freak out if I thought I had the chance of landing a monster. A 40lb Brown Trout?! Are you kidding me? Imagine a Marlin over 1,000 lbs on a fly. I can't

oregonsteel

Reaction score
I remember seeing a cast of the record king in Soldotna on my one and sadly only visit to Alaska to date - HUGE!!!
We were there for silver season and staying on the Kenai. We had bought some cheap spin gear to floatfish egss, etc and one evening one of our group hooked a massive king. We knew it was big but had not idea how big until after an hour or so it breached its head and shoulders out of the water. The collective "oh my god" was quite funny. Had to be 40lb+ at least. Anyway, had it near the net once or twice but it was always in control really and kept kiting back out into the current. After about 2 hours it just decided to turn and head downstream. We could only watch as it spooled him in one long run. Can't wait to get back sometime!

Probably alot bigger than 40 lbs. That aint poop for a alaskan salmon. Little 9 year old kids* in float tubes catch STEELHEAD that are 40 pounds

* 9 year old alaskan boy caught a 42 pound 3 ounce steelhead. Took it to taxidermist thinking it was a salmon, didnt even know it was a world record steelhead!

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Rory - welcome aboard - congratulations on Bloodknot!
There are those who take the IGFA thing super serious as you know, going all out to catch records and racking up a hundred or more. There is another angler who is trying to catch more than 1000 species of fish also currently worldwide and is getting very close. Just shows how diverse our fishing brothers and sisters really are.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

* 9 year old alaskan boy caught a 42 pound 3 ounce steelhead. Took it to taxidermist thinking it was a salmon, didnt even know it was a world record steelhead!
Awesome - good to know that size of fish is out there same as the 80lb Atlantic Salmon that Nowegian netsmen occasionally catch.